We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border Crossing Corozal to Chetumal

Earth City, Missouri
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Border Crossing Corozal to Chetumal

I will cross from belize to mexico; will stay 5 days in mexico and then fly back to my home country.

technically i do not have to pay the mexican tourism tax for a stay of under 7 days.

Does anyone have experiences with the above border posts and this rule?

2 replies to this topic
1. Re: Border Crossing Corozal to Chetumal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 June 2018, 20:34
Edited: 10 June 2018, 20:34

Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,861 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Border Crossing Corozal to Chetumal

According to the information I've received from official sources, visitors who transit from one country through Mexico to another country, must pay the DNI/Tourist Tax regardless of the number of days spent in Mexico (but in my experience, the rule might not always be applied). It's only when the visitor returns to the country of origin that the tax does not have to be paid (and the stay is 7 days or less).

When you enter Mexico, you must complete an FMM tourist card and check a box for the type of travel. In your case, you should check the "Transit" box, and tell Immigration you intend to stay 5 or 6 days (if asked). The officer should enter "7 days" on the FMM tourist card, and you might be asked to pay the DNI/Tourist Tax at the cashier counter (in the same immigration building at the border). The Tax is currently 533 pesos, and you will get a receipt (keep it to show when you check-in for your flight from Cancun). If you're not asked to pay at the border, you might be asked to pay the tax when you check-in at Cancun airport.

If, on the FMM, you check the "Tourism" box, you should get 180 days, and you will have to pay the DNI at the border. Keep the receipt with the FMM.

Reply to: Border Crossing Corozal to Chetumal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted