We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Exchange

Hey guys,

I'm arriving in Poza Rica on Friday, I'm wondering if there is anywhere I can exchange currencies?

I have some USD I want to exchange to Peso's

Cheers :)

Joe

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange

I would probably visit a local bank or casa de cambio ..........

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange

Is casa de cambio a currency exchange office?

I've been googling it but there's not much information on it.

Have you actually exchnged money in Poza Rica? I'm trying to find out what the rates might be over there so I don't get ripped off

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,815 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange

Joe D, a "casa de cambio" is a money exchange location. It can be anything from a small store front to just a window between 2 other businesses; each is different and unique in style and location. You will know one when you see it, as they post what they are buying or selling dollars for right in their windows. They will also list other currencies (CDN {Canadian dollars}, etc.) that they exchange and they provide a paper receipt so you know the exchange is correct (and they have not ripped you off doing some quick math!!). Make sure to count your money back to them just as you would at a bank at home (at least I still do, so I certainly do with a foreign currency when abroad).

Personally I have always used "casas de cambio" whenever I traveled ANYWHERE in Mexico. Know that you will get slightly less than the official going rate, as they have overhead expenses (i.e. a storefront, the employee who is working with you, etc.). For example, let's say the official bank rate exchange (currently) is 15:1 (that is 15 Mxn pesos to 1 USD). The casa de cambio may give you 13.8 or 14.1 to the dollar. It varies every day all day AND from casa de cambio to casa de cambio.

To make sure you are not getting "ripped off", make note of what the banks are posting in their windows. You can exchange your money at any of the local banks, but you will need your Passport AND usually a Xerox copy or two of your passport to exchange money. To this end, I would suggest making a few copies of your passport at home on your home printer vs. trying to run around the corner and getting a copy of your passport printed. Generally speaking you will not need a copy of your passport at the "casas de cambio" unless you are trying to exchange a rather large amount of money.

I have never had any issues with casas de cambio in more than 30 years of traveling in Mexico and Central America. It is in fact my preferred method of exchanging currencies vs. using an ATM. I am more leery of my card being skimmed than I am of any casa de cambio trying to rip me off.

¡Se diviertán!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Exchange

Google CIbanco. (Ci, not CL). Looks like there is a branch in PR. As of the 6th, they were buying dollars @ 16. You also don't say exactly how you're getting there and from where. But if you connect from MEX, you can change competitively there.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchange

But where's the best place in Veracruz to change money: A bank or a casa de cambio?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Exchange

#5, see my post @4. If you go to a bank, you may find yourself in a long line of people without an account.

7. Re: Currency Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2017, 03:47