We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veracruz report Feb 14-20

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
608 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Veracruz report Feb 14-20

My wife and I spent 6 nights in Veracruz at the Hotel Diligencias. Normally, we wouldn't stay in a "high priced spread" but got a last minute deal on hotels.com. We needed a rest from our hectic schedule in Chiapas. Fantastic hotel, right on the Zocalo. They gave us a front corner room on the 3rd floor, street noise wasn't distracting but we had great views.

Music is always on the menu around the Zocalo. Marimba, guitar, accordion, harp, and orchestra all play throughout the week, often at the same time! It was a pleasure to watch a Sunday afternoon presentation of Jarocho style music and dance in the square followed by a brass band playing sultry latin Danzon after sunset. Or to venture around the corner to hear latin hip hop beats played by an energetic DJ. Veracruz is music all around.

We visited the aquarium. Very nice presentation and cool after the mid morning warm up.

At Mercado Hidalgo we walked the rows of stalls, and my wife found the woven bag she had been looking for, but no huaraches for me. We ate lunch at one of the taco stands and were serenaded by a 4 piece Jarocho band, viva La Bamba!

We had desayuno at La Parroquia, where the Lechero surprised my wife with his showmanship,

and ventured south to Plaza de Americas for a glimpse of modern shopping in the city. We had lunch at a chinese buffet there, Chino is popular in Mexico.

We had seafood at a small family restaurant off the Zocalo, where eating with locals instead of tourists was the norm.

We walked along the Malecon at sunset.

And all too soon we had to leave, Veracruz, we will return.

6 replies to this topic
1. Re: Veracruz report Feb 14-20

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2017, 00:12

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
608 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Veracruz report Feb 14-20

The fort held no interest for her, less for me.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Veracruz report Feb 14-20

Perect report for Facebook and what the heck, one doesn't have to waste the time composing and posting reviews where they might be more informative to the travel public looking for answers!

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
608 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Veracruz report Feb 14-20

all one has to do is ask, and it will be answered.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Veracruz report Feb 14-20

hoz49:

How would you feel if people were so quick to write off attractions of historical or cultural significance in the Philippines as being of no interest? I have lived there so I do know places exist and learned many years ago about the damages done by having a closed mind. How can one evaluate or make statements about something or somewhere they have never experienced?

Cebu City
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Veracruz report Feb 14-20

Wow Neil...OK, I wasn't sure what you referring to with the "Facebook" comment so thanks for your clarification. Now if I may... while my wife was extremely patient and even acted interested a time or two while we visited the Mayan ruins at Palenque, the Olmec heads at Villhermosa, and later el Tajin, Teotihucan and the Templo Mayor she drew the line at being dragged out to a cold, dank and windy "fort". She is very cold natured, and truth is, unless it is "jungle hot", is uncomfortable.

As for me, my interests, and alligence, lie more with the indigenous peoples of Mesoamerica not the murderous Spanish.

Your comparison to the Philippines, and there are many, as Spain played that same dirty game there too, is apt. Some visit for the weather, the inexpensive cost of living, the friendly people, and even history. Research the "Blood Compact" or "Sandugo". Some just sit in a bar and pick up women. But I have no compunction to "feel" one way or another about someone else's interests.

Reply to: Veracruz report Feb 14-20
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Veracruz