We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anywhere to get Cheddar cheese?

England
Level Contributor
27 posts
58 reviews
Anywhere to get Cheddar cheese?

I know its an odd question, but Ive been in mexico for a month and previously 3 months, and I´m moving here next year with my Fiance.

During this time, I have found not a single place that sells foreign cheese, except the plasticy slice of 'cheese' from the US, for burgers.

I quite like the cheese they have here, especially Oaxaca cheese, but most (all) of mexican cheese is remarkably bland, and even if i can find a US version of cheddar (but preferably UK/Irish) this would make the move so much easier for me.

Dont ask me why its important, It just seems to be.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Anywhere to get Cheddar cheese?

The easiest place to find cheddar would be superama. Also, any costco will have a selection of cheeses, but if u are looking for a finer selection, go to the gourmet section at Palacio de Hierro. The trucks in many street corners with signs " productos oaxaqueños " have awesome, fresh cheeses.

England
Level Contributor
27 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Anywhere to get Cheddar cheese?

The Superama near us doesnt have a selection of non-mexican cheeses, but i'll try some others. We went to Palacio de Hierro to have a look yesterday and all they had was mexican cheese, laughing cow and Brie. oh, and spray-cheese.

And yeah, ive had man Oaxacan cheeses, but I still find the vast majority to be quite bland.

Thanks for the ideas anyhow!

We're gonna check this other place in Coyoacan later today called Casa Queso, or something.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Anywhere to get Cheddar cheese?

Try Ferme du Vaumadeuc in Downtown. (I have heard great things!)

Also, the giant, fancy, art-deco skyscraper (The name escapes me, but with your back to the cathedral, follow the right hand side street down a block and a half)) near the Zocalo should have some. They have an impressive collection of international foods.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
110 posts
193 reviews
4. Re: Anywhere to get Cheddar cheese?

Have you tried City Market? (There's one in Interlomas and one in the Colonia del Valle.) It's an upscale supermarket brand, owned by Comercial Mexicana, with a lot of imported and gourmet foods.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
125 reviews
5. Re: Anywhere to get Cheddar cheese?

Across from the City Market in Interlomas there is small grocery store, the name is escaping me now but it is on the second level of the building with a red sign outside, that sells imported food mostly from the US. Many expats shop here for comforts from home they can't live without. They may also be able to order items for you.

6. Re: Anywhere to get Cheddar cheese?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2012, 15:48