We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City>Puebla>Oaxaca

Flat Rock, NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City>Puebla>Oaxaca

We are considering spending 7 days in Mexico City, 5 in Puebla/Cholula and 5 in Oaxaca. Does it more sense to fly from Mexico City to Oaxaca and back and then bus back and forth from Mexico City to Puebla, or go Mexico City> bus to Puebla, bus to Oaxaca and return? Thanks in advance for your advice...

5 replies to this topic
Springfield...
Level Contributor
385 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City>Puebla>Oaxaca

What has worked well for us is bus from Mexico City to Puebla, then to Oaxaca, then fly back from Oaxaca to Mexico City.

Croydon, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City>Puebla>Oaxaca

It seems overkill flying since the bus journey from Mexico City or Puebla to Oaxaca takes about 4 - 5 hours, you don't have to get to an out-of-town airport about 2 hours before the flight and at the destination have to get from an airport into town, there are many buses a day and usually there is no problem getting tickets. Check bus schedules with Autobuses ADO - you can book your ticket online or at one of their many offices or just turn up at the bus terminal.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
385 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City>Puebla>Oaxaca

We have also done it all by bus and it is comfortable. But actually, the bus from Oaxaca to Mexico City takes at least 6.5 hours. The flight is less than 1.5 hours. I agree that flying can be a hassle, but he Oaxaca airport is small, so no need to arrive 2 hours ahead. As a bonus, there is a great view of Monte Alban on takeoff. And since it's a domestic flight, there is no need to go through immigration on arrival at Mexico City--- the biggest time eater at that airport. Just get off the plane and out of the airport. Depends on how you want to use your time.

oaxaca, oaxaca
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City>Puebla>Oaxaca

I would plan going to Puebla first - there is a very easy bus directly from the airport to CAPU - the main station in Puebla. Then take a bus to Oaxaca - only 4.5 hours and it is an interesting ride - you will see an amazing cactus forest and the results of towns trying hard to reforest areas.

This saves you from taking a taxi from the airport to ADO and they are getting more and more expensive.

I you have time in Puebla - good choice - my favorite ruins are Cantona on the border with Vera Cruz . They is never anyone there. It is a 2 hour drive from Puebla. Actually that area has so many interesting sights. The puppet museum in Humantla (stay in the old hacienda) then the ruins and on the Xalpa to see especially the anthropological museo.. I would see this museo over the one in Mexico.

also ruins in Tlaxcala that are still colored.

Renting a car in Puebla should be easy and might work.

Then take a bus from Puebla to Oaxaca - 5 days is just barely enough and take an airplane back to Mexico City. Check Interjet and Volaris. Often they are the same price as the bus.

Sounds like a great trip.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,594 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City>Puebla>Oaxaca

Check out the Platino bus (ADO's plushest service) and their night runs between Oaxaca and Mexico TAPO. Board around midnight, driver bids you goodnight and shuts the partition door (cuts out headlight glare), you recline the seat flat and doze off, arrive rested around 6am.

Reply to: Mexico City>Puebla>Oaxaca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted