We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chapultepec Castle - castle or museum

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
148 posts
291 reviews
Save Topic
Chapultepec Castle - castle or museum

hi, i plan to visit this place. just wonder whether taxi can direct drive us to this castle or we need to hike up to the hill? also is it walking distance to antropologia museo nearby?

Is this castle a museum or we can visit the castle without museum, we have around 3 hours time here and want to see whether we can cover both castle and antropologia museo.

Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chapultepec Castle - castle or museum

You walk through the park and up the hill or you can take a mini train up the hill for a low price. It is a castle museum and worth seeing entire thing and the views are fantastic. Yes, you can easily walk from there to the Museo de Antropologia. Three hours is really right even to see the highlights. If you do this, do the castle quickly, get to Anthropology museum and when you walk in go straight to the back of the square - far side - which is what was found in the Zocalo area and near Mexico City and super impressive. Save the rest for next time as then you will have run out of time. Sunday's are busiest when Mexicans get in free.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
148 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chapultepec Castle - castle or museum

thanks,you mean i can cover both castle and anthropology museum in 3-4 hours. sounds great plan.

btw, i noticed antropology msuem opens till 7pm, will be it safe/easy to get a uber/taxi from the musuem 6-7pm to downtown? thanks.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chapultepec Castle - castle or museum

Doablebut worth more time. Use Uber as the taxi sitio at the Anthropology Museum is over priced and abuses tourists. 7pm is start of rush hour - our 9-5 is 9-7 and it is the rainy season and that impacts how long you wait for an Uber

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chapultepec Castle - castle or museum

Just to offer my opinion, you're gonna be shortchanging both places trying to do them both in 3 or 4 hours. It's possible, but I don't think you'll enjoy either as much as you could. Many people spend half a day at the Anthropology museum or visit on two consecutive days. I'd recommend just the castle which is pretty magnificent in it's own right, but can be enjoyed successfully in a shorter amount of time.

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
576 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chapultepec Castle - castle or museum

3 hours for both? No way unless you just want to run through each basically. Although if that is all the time you have and cannot change your schedule then try it.

I guess it depends on how much interest you have in getting a better understanding of the rich cultures that formed in Mexico and the wonderful pieces in the museum.

And then the fantastic first floor museum at Chapultepec which gives you more excellent history of Mexico and many important artifacts as well.

The walks between the two are great as well.

Then the upstairs to view the actual palace or castle and enjoy the views of the city from the decks there.

Someone can try this in 3-4 hours but will walk away wishing they had spent a full day or if satisfied then not that much interested in history.

That is just my opinion but I love Mexico and history so hope others do as well.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
148 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chapultepec Castle - castle or museum

Thanks for all feedback, I guess I will visit castle first and see how long it takes and decide whether to visit anthropology museum if we have extra time.

Btw, how bad is the traffic in Mexico City? We plan to take taxi/uber from downtown to castle around 3pm and finish 7pm back to downtown. Just wonder how long does it take each way? And is peak hour 5-7 in Mexico downtown?

Thanks

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chapultepec Castle - castle or museum

The castle is interesting but in my opinion the most swum is far better. If I had to choose just one, it would definitely be the museum.

Reply to: Chapultepec Castle - castle or museum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted