We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking a bus with a US credit card

Atlanta, Georgia
9 posts
Save Topic
Booking a bus with a US credit card

I'm reading all kinds of horror stories about booking bus tickets from the US. I need to book a trip on either Primera Plus or ENT for next week - I'd prefer to secure the tickets now, but what I hear is that you don't get confirmation (nerve-wracking!) and/or can't do it with a US credit card. Before I input those precious digits...any feedback? From what I understand, since it's the school holidays, buses CAN get booked up.

7 replies to this topic
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking a bus with a US credit card

School holidays; busses getting booked up?? Tell me you are kidding. The ONLY time you have to worry about (Mexico's) bus systems running full is around 'major' holidays (i.e. Christmas, NYE, Easter and Semana Santa {Holy Week between Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday}; perhaps Dia de los Muertos in certain areas of Mexico) and that is about it.

And you are correct; you CANNOT book Mexican busses using US credit cards over the internet. However I believe that you can actually pay for your tickets in person at the bus station using a US based credit card.

The Mexican bus system is good, efficient and generally safe. Since the buses run quite often, again I do not see any issues with waiting until the day before to book your bus trips in Mexico. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Lexington, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking a bus with a US credit card

I think the first person is incorrect, or has dated information. This is a possibility through the website. I was thinking about doong this and using the paypal link. The bank will provide the exchange rate.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking a bus with a US credit card

the worst that can happen if they give us is for is that you book for the next bus- after waiting 30 min. Buses run ever 30

min, 26-7, 365 days of the year.

You are worrying for naught.

Edited: 03 August 2017, 19:25
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking a bus with a US credit card

Yes, one can use PayPal and purchase Mexican bus lines tickets online....... but you are using PayPal, and not just strictly your credit card. That still does not change my original answer. And personally I would not pay or use a 3rd Party payment site loosing a little bit more on the exchange (i.e. PayPal sets the USD : Mxn pesos exchange rate).

As long as you are NOT traveling around the holiday time periods that I outlined, I do not think you will have ANY issues with just buying your tickets at the bus station, even on the day of departure. However if you want to be sure to get the exact bus departure time you want, then buying your ticket a day early should resolve that issue. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

BC
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking a bus with a US credit card

Even travelling to touristy Playa del Carmen during Semana Santa I had no problem buying a ticket for the bus I wanted the night before. Only a few seats were taken at that time. But the bus did leave full, I think most just buy at the station just before departure.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking a bus with a US credit card

Just go to the bus station when you want to leave. Really the only time I had problems was Semana Santa. Next week is really easy on tourism.

Atlanta, Georgia
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking a bus with a US credit card

Just an update - we booked our tickets at the Terminal Norte the night before rather than even attempting to complete on the website after encountering the Spinning Wheel of Death. Only a few seats were taken when we booked, but the bus was almost full the next day. Same going back. So another time, I'd just make sure to get to the desired bus good and early, unless it was a major holiday. Thanks for your advice, y'all.

Reply to: Booking a bus with a US credit card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted