We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day of the dead festival 2017

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
558 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Day of the dead festival 2017

Am I right in saying that last year was the first year that an actual parade was put on for this festival?Does anyone know if there will be one this year?

53 replies to this topic
3 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Day of the dead festival 2017

I'm going to be in Mexico City during this time. I'd love to see the parade, but I also want to look in to the more historic celebrations.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Day of the dead festival 2017

Would you be able to guide me in contacting the organizers of the parade? I have been a Day of the Dead organizer in the US, and wold like to see if I could volunteer for this year's parade in Mexico City.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Day of the dead festival 2017

https:/…

Here is a volunteer page on Facebook. I think they have a Twitter account too.

Mexico City, Mexico
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Day of the dead festival 2017

Yes, It will be.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Day of the dead festival 2017

@21

Good luck since the Mexico City celebrations have never been what one might expect in traditional or historic nature. Dia de los Muertos is traced to the traditions and history of the Indigenous peoples. So the most traditional or historic festivities are to be found primarily in areas with a large Indigenous populations: Chiapas, Oaxaca and Michoacan. The Oaxaca and Patzcuaro (Michoacan) festivities have the greatest notoriety and folks travel from all over the world for their functions. And they are not something that one can just drop in on and expect to find hotel rooms.

1 post
Save Reply
26. Re: Day of the dead festival 2017

San Andres Mixquic is also a wonderful place to experience Day of the Dead Festivities in Mexico.

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
27. Re: Day of the dead festival 2017

Does anyone know the actual date of the parade in Mexico City (2017)? Any info on times, locations, etc. cant seem to find anything on the inter web

Edited: 23 August 2017, 01:40
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Day of the dead festival 2017

Hello everybody,

About the festivities in San Andres Mixquic: which day would be the best to visit? Is it "good" (sorry, not a native speaker) during the day or would it be better to go there at night? And if I have my hostel/hotel in mexico city can I go return back at night by public transport?

About mexico city: are there restrictions in the public transport and other sights (are the shops and museums open)? Or is everything working as usual?

Thanks in advance!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
723 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Day of the dead festival 2017

Hi Sandra, I have the exact same questions as you! I was just doing research and saving some articles. I'll share what I find out if you do : )

One thing I do know is the "good stuff" is at night and can go very late. I've also read it's not easy to come home by public transit, as the last bus stops running at a certain time.

There are some tours listed if you google, but they seem ridiculously expensive. I'm going to hire a car and driver as there are 4 of us. If anyone has an idea of what it would cost I would appreciate the advice.

Edited: 24 August 2017, 23:40
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Day of the dead festival 2017

@chavalaSantaFe great :) hopefully somebody can help us.

I would have recommended sharing a taxi back but "unfortunately" you are already 4 people :)

Our mexico travel plans were just developed this week :) So I read a lot about that mexio city is not the best place to celebrate day of the dead, but my question simply is: how to make the best of it while you're there. So I try not to stress too much about the celebration and maybe do some "normal" sightseeing.

Edited: 25 August 2017, 00:03
Reply to: Day of the dead festival 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted