We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Furnishing a new condo in PV and have some questions

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Furnishing a new condo in PV and have some questions

I will be travelling to Guadelajara to buy furniture for my new condo in PV. (which will be a vacation rental)

I am wondering if buying a television is more affordable in Guadelajara vs Puerto Vallarta. Anyone know?

Also items like kitchen stuff, bedding and towels. Should I just shop for those items in PV or buy shop for them in Guadelajara?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies to this topic
Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Furnishing a new condo in PV and have some questions

For televisions, you'll probably wind up buying from a "big box" store, like Costco, Walmart or Sam's Club. These stores are located in both cities, so there won't be any price difference between Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta. There are a few Best Buy stores here in Guadalajara (there aren't any in Puerto Vallarta), which might have some higher-end TVs, but their prices aren't super-discounted.

Make sure that you buy a "smart TV" that you can use to get streaming services, like Netflix, over your Internet wifi. This is especially useful if you want rent your condo, so your guests will have more variety that the regular offering of Spanish language television programming.

Whenever you make a larger purchase in Mexico, like a TV, computer, fridge, etc., it is wise to ask the store personnel about the product warranty. Specifically, if you have to register your product's serial number with the store before you depart. These days, many stores accept your cash register receipt as proof of purchase, so no special actions are required. But, there are a few stores that continue to do things "the old way", with a special ink stamp on your sales receipt and maybe a handwritten log book entry.

In Guadalajara, there is a chain of stores, called "The Home Store", which is similar to "Bed Bath and Beyond" stores north of the border. http://www.thehomestore.com.mx/ They don't have any stores in Puerto Vallarta, though.

Costco is good for TVs, refrigerators and small appliances. We just bought some nice, fluffy king size mattress covers from Costco.

Sam's Club has a selection of pillows and nice higher thread count sheets. The Home Store has even better sheets, at higher prices. By the way, don't get really thick bed spread, or your guests will be cranking up the air conditioning and the electric bill will soar! It's probably better to get a thin bedspread and have a spare blanket in the closet if your guests get cold during the winter. Just thinking out loud ...I'm no rental expert!

El Tio Sam is a good appliance store, with locations in both Guadalajara and PV. You'll find refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, washer/dryers and the like.

If you purchase a gas appliance, make sure that it comes configured for the right kind of gas. Liquid propane gas (LPG) is the most common to find in Mexico, with trucks driving around town to make deliveries. Natural gas (methane) is more common in big cities north of the border, where it is piped into homes through underground tubing. The problem is that some gas appliances are imported from the U.S., still in a configuration to use natural gas. When the store delivers the product, they send out a technician to install a converter kit to change the product over for propane usage. I once bought a clothes dryer in Puerto Vallarta and nobody at the store told me that I had to schedule their technician for a house visit to convert it to propane. Instead, I installed the dryer myself and after a few months, the dryer was nasty, with soot everywhere!

If you buy furniture in Guadalajara, the store should have a way to ship it to Puerto Vallarta fairly inexpensively. Of course, you will need to have someone on the receiving end, in Puerto Vallarta, when the delivery arrives. When we move stuff between our houses in Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta, we often use the services of "Transportes Sanchez Barcelata" (Google it). They have terminals in both cities, with reasonable prices.

Once, we bought a sofa in Guadalajara for our house in Puerto Vallarta. They offered in-store delivery service between the two cities. When I gave the Guadalajara salesman our PV address, he said, "I know exactly where you live: my aunt is your next door neighbor!" (...and his mother, the store owner, was the sister of our neighbor). So, the salesman rode out to PV with his delivery truck drivers and spent his weekend with his aunt and uncle.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Furnishing a new condo in PV and have some questions

Sorry for the long, rambling post. I was typing fast and off the top of my head. :-)

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Furnishing a new condo in PV and have some questions

There is also a Bed Bath and Beyond store in Plaza Patria in Guadalajara.

You will find all sorts of accessories, art and decor for your place in Tonala. I'd recommend buying the TVs and appliances in Puerto Vallarta.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Furnishing a new condo in PV and have some questions

Thanks sioux4noff,

I didn't know that Bed Bath and Beyond had opened a store here. Now, my wife is all excited to go check it out!

I agree with you 100% that TVs and appliances should be bought in Puerto Vallarta. Puerto Vallarta has a good selection of these type items. The selection is a little bit bigger in Guadalajara, but there's no money to be saved and shipping is going to add cost.

To the OP,

You'll probably want to signup for memberships at both Costco and Sam's Club if you aren't already a member. Your present membership card should work in Mexico. If you need to purchase a new membership, do it in Mexico and save some money. Costco memberships are 500 pesos ($35 CAD / $26 USD) and Sam's Club memberships are 400 pesos.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Furnishing a new condo in PV and have some questions

Thanks very much for all of that.....amazing!

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Furnishing a new condo in PV and have some questions

Thanks for those membership tips!

Anybody know if I should buy the mattress's for the beds I am having built in Guadalajara in GDL? Or is PVR a better place to buy mattress's? I also have some concerns about the bed sizing, is everything standard sizing throughout Mexico with relation to sheets etc?

Reply to: Furnishing a new condo in PV and have some questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara