We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chemical Spraying on the streets

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
244 posts
Chemical Spraying on the streets
Save

I've been in Merida the past 2 months - and on a number of occasions, I've noticed them spraying some sort of chemical along the street from the back of a truck. What chemical is this?

I saw the very same practice when I was in Oaxaca previously so I guess it's common practice.

I'm guessing its to control mosquitos? ...which I guess is good...but how is it ok to spray this on people as they pass by??

4 replies to this topic
Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Chemical Spraying on the streets
Save

In Merida, yes, they spray to control the mosquitos. Whether the chemical they use is safe, I have my doubts. Of course, mosquitos here transmit dengue, zika, chikungunya, so whether the treatment is worse than the disease, I have no idea (and it's only laziness that has prevented me from finding out.)

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
176 reviews
177 helpful votes
2. Re: Chemical Spraying on the streets
Save

Here in Merida, I've only seen/heard the trucks spraying for mosquitos late at night when there are few, if any people on the streets

Edited: 22 August 2021, 20:02
Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Chemical Spraying on the streets
Save

I've had them pass by my place not so late, maybe around 8 pm. Sometimes they would give a warning but it doesn't seem to be something they've done consistently. We shut our windows when it passes.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
244 posts
4. Re: Chemical Spraying on the streets
Save

Thanks for the responses. I guess it makes sense that its a measure taken against mosquitos - but it would be useful to know exactly what it is.

I first came across this when I was in Oaxaca a few months ago...I was dining at a streetside food stand when I heard this weird noise growing ever louder. The lady came out from the other side of the counter and draped a serviette over my food.

Someone suggested that they spray when there's nobody around but that's not what I've seen. Another time here in Merida, they were spraying at around 8pm - with families around - and there's no sign of them stopping if anyone steps out.

I went a block up rather than go down the street they were spraying in - then ...as they passed by I switched back to that street. As I've no idea what chemical they're using I wasn't sure how quickly it was safe to drop back there. Normally these types of sprays are not without major side effects for humans. I'm leaving Mexico tomorrow - but for those of you sticking around, it would be no harm for you guys to figure out the chemical in question!

Reply to: Chemical Spraying on the streets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.