We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less flights, this may be part of it.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Less flights, this may be part of it.

https:/…

Interesting read. Looks like the some of the Midwest travel agents and charter companies may have been one step ahead of the commercial airlines. While Cancun is the major focus in the article, I'm guessing Ixtapa and Zihua will suffer because of "guilt by association". This would explain the elimination of some charter flights and the tightening and increase prices with fewer seats and flight options available, at least from our part of the US

The part that sucks is that the alcohol issue has not really been a problem in Ixtapa and Zihua. Oh well, we have been booked since late April and can't wait to return.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 18:05
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
9 replies to this topic
Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less flights, this may be part of it.

And this was published in Mexican News Daily.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less flights, this may be part of it.

The link in your original post was that same newspaper/site (jsonline) again that has had all the stories about the ‘bad’ booze... so weird... it’s like they have some sort of vendetta against Mexico. I don’t believe in conspiracy theories as a rule but it sure is odd.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less flights, this may be part of it.

Sargassum continues to be horrible on the east coast so I’m expecting flight prices to anywhere on the Pacific side to be high and likely remain high for this winter, too. :(

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Less flights, this may be part of it.

Ted..interesting read..thanks

Like Ris, I'm suspicious of the "tainted booze" angle. After 30+ years in that part of the world, we've all seen the behaviour of certain sections of our population once they get off the plane. There's a "I'm on vacation..and therefore bulletproof" mentality. Combine cheap, plentiful booze, too much sun, too much partying...and its easier to blame "tainted booze" than admit you were a drunken a$$hole, who couldn't handle your booze.

With regard to the reduction of flites, I'm wondering whether its partly demographic. I'm an old fart in a workplace that is filled with young people (late teens/early 20's). These millenials, don't have the same interest in parking themselves on a beach for a week. They are very "experiential" in their interests, including travel. So the massive AI's of Cancun, Riveria Maya etc don't hold the same interest for them as a backpacking/surfing/climbing trip does.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less flights, this may be part of it.

I do believe in the tainting of alcohol in the past...not just in the RM...but we talk with people all over when traveling and we hear stories from people of all ages that it really has happened...and no..not all people are "gotta drink as much as we can because it's A/I " mentality....imho...to believe it doesn't happen is naïve. It happens everywhere. Not saying their aren't obnoxious drunk overserved people that "don't own it' for being drunk...but slipping something into drinks DOES happen....bad things do happen....everywhere.

The younger generation has already experienced the sprawling A/I in my opinion with their parents over their entire childhood so ya..they are ready to try something different. They have the been there done that...I'm bored mindset right now. It all goes in waves. They will be back eventually.

It seems the 'interest" to this area or that area goes in waves and right now the pacific side seems to be the less popular side...boo for us that want good flight times and at a somewhat reasonable price.

again...all just 'my" opinion....

Edited: 07 August 2018, 19:02
Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,262 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Less flights, this may be part of it.

We experienced the decline in flights years ago when the airline merged.

After NWA merged with Delta that cut out a great many of the Charter flights that came though NWA's Worry Free Vacations bookings.

No more Ryan

No more Champion

(really no loss either IMO)

The only other real decline that I have seen with MSP departures has been the United cutback on the route to Saturday Only booking, and that is due to the cutback of the ZIH flights out of IAH (Houston) being cut down to once weekly off season.

Keith

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Less flights, this may be part of it.

I certainly wasn't saying that people aren't slipped roofied drinks at about the same rate in Mexico as I'm sure they are in the ROTW...of course that happens, rarely but it happens and people have to be vigilant about that everywhere. But that is a different topic entirely from what was going on in Mexico.

The 'tainted alcohol' stories, however, were NOT about people being roofied. It was about the issue of illegal bottles of booze in Mexico. It's a big business, some involved just non payment of taxes or duty but some are bootlegged or manufactured incorrectly (lack of rules again) and may contain ethanol in large enough amounts to cause people to get very sick and/or black out. The victims were not purposely being drugged, it was accidental, a result of trying to save $$. S

They did find quite a lot of the counterfeit booze at AI resorts in the Mayan Riviera area.

My point was- this particular newspaper seemed to carry 90% of the stories about this as well as many other negative stories about Mexico. And the wording was highly misleading. It just seems very odd. Maybe the owner owns stock in Hawaii hotels, lol.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Less flights, this may be part of it.

This particular newspaper, "The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel", in addition to some of it's own investigative reporting, also uses articles from the USA Today which is where this one originated from. The reason the Milwaukee news paper grabbed hold of this story was because of local young women who died there within the first hour of being at the resort. She was a member of our church. Her brother was also recovered from the bottom of the pool but survived. In addition to the reporter actually going to the resort to investigate, numerous "me too" victims (most survive) came forward with their similar stories.

Now have the numerous local articles poisoned the enticement of a warm weather vacation to Mexico for those who subscribe to that news print, I'm sure it has. And it's evident from the article based on the drop in available airplane seat to Mexico from the midwest. One might say that the negative publicity is just. The country can't regulate a local police department and they sure has heck can't regulate the alcohol industry. It doesn't change my plans, but if the squeeze on this lawless paradise is felt, maybe the powers that be will eventually get their chit together and it will be better for all of us. Don't hold your breath.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Less flights, this may be part of it.

No, I certainly wouldn’t be holding my breath.

It was a tragic story of the brother and sister. It certainly sounds like they were aerved way too many shots from one of the bottles that had the adulterated alcohol. Just a good idea in general imo to stay far away from free pouring of shots in the all inclusive swim up bars.

Reply to: Less flights, this may be part of it.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo