We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Stores

ATL
6 posts
Save Topic
Grocery Stores

We're staying @ Club Intrawest and traveling w/a 3 1/2 year old. Are there grocery/convenience stores where I can buy peanut butter and jelly, canned fruit and snacks for him?

Thank you.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Stores

Think the last convenice store was a 7-11, AM/PM or Circle K on the way to the airport, same for Safeway, Krogers, Albertson's or whatever.

Seriously, there is probably a "tienda" per block all over town. PB & J is in most, along with the infamous Bimbo bread (think it is Wonder bread), crackers, canned fruits, etc.... You won't recognize the names but the labels are the same. Then for heavy duty there are Commercial Mexicana and Bodega, one is Wal-Mart & one Costco and I can never keep them straight. The milk you want is Lada Premio, no need to chill until opened though I usually put it on ice cause I like it cold when I open it.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Stores

Dorado- FYI Neither is Costco. The Commercials Owners have stock in Costco but they are separate entities. They however carry some Costco "Kirkland" brands which I think is where the confusion comes in. The Bodega is a wholly owned subsidy of Walmart & the same messy shelves give it away. LOL

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Stores

Wondered about that, everybody keeps saying Commercial is Costco but the logo is actually from a Florida based chain store.

ATL
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Stores

Thank you foryour advice. My son is a very picky eater so I wanted to have some options.

Can't wait to go (4/15)

Eden Prairie, MN
Level Contributor
76 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Stores

There is a little store with snacks right next to Intrawest on the road into town.

chicago
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Stores

take a three dollar cab ride to commercial mexicana - basically it is a walmart super store. we were just there in march and were able to find just about anything that we needed there.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Stores

Zihua regular IT IS NOT A WALMART! Now as I posted above The Bodega is owned by Walmart.

PS Took the cab there last night & it was 18 peso from El Centro.

ATL
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Stores

Ok, confused....I really don't care if it is owned by Walmart or not. I just need to know where to go to get the items. Need staples, plus milk, juice, etc.

What do I tell the cab driver to go exactly?

Should I do this on the way to Club Intrawest from the airport or wait till the next day? Our flight arrives @ 2:20 pm on Sunday.

Thanks for your help.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Stores

Since you are going with a 3 yr old I would go to the store on the way from airport. Just tell cab driver Commercial Mexicana. He will wait or you can take a city cab, there are always lots of them in the parking lot.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Stores

oops

Since you will have luggage you would want to stick with the same driver I suppose. Don't worry, he will wait. Sometimes they even come in and push your cart for you!