We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotiabank ATM problems

bc, canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Scotiabank ATM problems

I have been having problems with Scotiabank ATMs in Puerto Vallarta using a Canadian Scotiabank card. On separate 2 occasions this month we tried to withdraw money, the first transaction was cancelled by the machine and tried again, didn't get any money but our account was debited the entire amount and we were charged a service charge, we have never paid service charges using Scotiabank ATMs in Puerto Vallarta. The 2nd time, my husband went into the bank, told them about the problem and a Mexican Scotiabank employee watched my husband do the withdrawal and not get any money, they said there was nothing they could do except for a 45 day investigation from Canada. This is following an issue we had in April where we were shorted 5000 pesos by another Scotia ATM in Puerto Vallarta. We have now had problems with 3 different Scotiabank ATMs.

To say the least we will no longer use Scotiabank ATMs, but I'm wondering if anyone else experienced any similar issues or maybe this is just a problem with our account?

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Scotiabank ATM problems

Pvdeb, yes.

Pacific Latitiude...
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Scotiabank ATM problems

I have a tool-free number for Canadian banks in Mexico.

00 1-800-514-7801

Can someone dial it to see if it is still in service.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Scotiabank ATM problems

Thanks acajane. But dadgummit!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Scotiabank ATM problems

Well this is very discouraging. I've been using Scotiabank Inverlat almost exclusively for the past 10+ years in Vallarta and have never had a problem (other than the time I was too busy yakking with my friend and the machine ate my card due to my inattention -- I got it back the following day).

We are snowbirds and normally spend 3-6 consecutive months in Vallarta. I'll get my husband to check with the Bank here to see if he can find out what is going on. BTW, we only withdraw 3,000 pesos at a time and I notice almost all of these complaints deal with larger amounts. Not sure if that is relevant or not.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,395 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Scotiabank ATM problems

Montyjam: We, too have been using Scotia banks without problem, and, unfortunately, the withdrawal of larger amounts doesn´t appear to be relevant as we have often withdrawn up to the limit of our Canadian Scotia daily limit, each (on a joint acccount).

Highland IL
9 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Scotiabank ATM problems

Well our problem has been resolved. Regions Bank (our home bank) said it should be fixed by Aug. 6th, ten days after they recieved a signed document from me. Checked last night Aug. 2nd and funds were deposited back to my account. No notification to me from from my bank. Hope the others have the same outcome as us.

YYC
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Scotiabank ATM problems

I do know the Scotiabank at the Mexico City airport only lets you withdraw 3000 pesos and it is clearly stated on a sign. Have never had problems at any Scotia bank in Mexico. Once using Banamex a couple of years ago, we received no money, yet the 5000 pesos was debited from out account. As soon as we returned, went to the Royal Bank and they immediately credited the amount and they went after Banamex. Also, we have been told on a couple of occasions by bank managers, that your travel pattern plays a big part in whether your card will be blocked when trying to withdraw from atms around the world. We travel internationally about 18 times a year, have never notified the bank when leaving the country and have never had trouble using atms in Europe, Asia, Central/South America, South Pacific, USA or Bermuda.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,395 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Scotiabank ATM problems

Mike: Glad you got your money back. I[m sure the rest of us wil too.

Thanks for your inpurt, Carriacou, but my huband and I withdraw from Scotia in Vallarta at regular intervals 12 months of the year, so I think our "travel patterns" are more than adequately established. Also, ATMs attached to all banks in Vallarta allow you to withdraw up to the peso equivalent of your daily Canadian dollar limit, not the $3000 pesos which is usually the limit of freestanding machines such as the one you encountered in the Mexico City airport. or what is often suggested as the limit in ATMs attached to banks Neither of those was the problem in this case.

This may only be a glitch pertaining to Scotia Canada customers using Scotia machines in Mexico (don't know). But it is (hopefully WAS) a one-time glitch. But it WAS a glitch. Not something any of us did wrong.

I'll let you know when I get my money back. Hope others will report any further problems as well as success getting reimbursed.

I

Edited: 05 August 2012, 01:37
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,395 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Scotiabank ATM problems

Sorry for the typos. I'm on a slow connection here.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Scotiabank ATM problems

From the horse's mouth (big wig at Scotiabank Canada):

"Had our head of systems in Mex look into this last week. Have been rolling out new abms - bug identified related to some international chip cards used at these machines. Fix was to be promoted on Friday (ie. today)."