We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on visiting a newly opened resort

Anaheim Hills, CA
Level Contributor
494 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on visiting a newly opened resort

Would love to hear both positive and negative opinions from those of you who have actually visited a resort that has recently opened. My husband and I are considering visiting the new Secrets in mid May. We are booked at Dreams Villamagna right now and have decided that is not where we want to stay. We have been considering Dreams PV but the prices we can get at Secrets are so low!! We have visited other new resorts; Iberstar Grand Playa 2 months after opening, Valentin in Playa 4 months after opening, and Riu Palace Pacifico 2 months after opening. We have returned 2 more times to the Riu and did not notice that is was any better than the first trip. We had wonderful experiences at all of the resorts! So I am just wondering are we missing something or should we be wary? Thanks!!

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on visiting a newly opened resort

We just stayed at the new Sunset Plaza Beach last Thanksgiving, even with almost being opened one year they are still having some startup issues... inconsistency with service and because the hotel is still new and not at full capacity only one restaurant open for meals. The same could be true for Now Amber/Secrets considering the price for accommodations with other options in the area being much more affordable. True you may get more bang for your buck in Nuevo but if youre considering traveling into town youll spend more than the difference in taxi fare; the experience of vacationing in PV is totally different than Nuevo just being at a nice resort. We are considering Now Amber for next Thanksgiving and I think by then we will have enough positive/negative reviews to make a decision.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on visiting a newly opened resort

Someone recently posted that they are working feverishly on Secrets, when we left in early January they were not and it didn't look like they stood a chance in heck of finishing by April.

It is your vacation time an dollars, but I'd say you are taking your chances going before they work out the kinks.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on visiting a newly opened resort

I hope my response did not sound negative of Sunset Plaza, the hotel by far has the nicest accommodations in the area and their all-inclusive is not comparable to many; even with only one restaurant they offered vaired menus (Gourmet, Italian and Mexican) and went more than out of their way if you wanted somethinig they did not offer as long as they had the ingredients.

On a positive note staying at a new hotel when it opens you also may be able to take advantage of low introductory rates, but need to take into consideration all hotel amenities/services may not be available. Years ago we stayed at the Velas in the marinia just when it opened and got a very low rate and a free upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite.

Galesburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on visiting a newly opened resort

We also booked at the Villamagna based on the brand (we stayed at Secrets Maroma last year) but after reading reviews about nasty security guards and condos decided to switch to the Now Amber (we're taking the kid this year). Hopefully they sent someone from Maroma to help get it started because they get it done there.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
433 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on visiting a newly opened resort

We like to try new resorts, especially if we can get a good deal shortly after the opening. We did that with Secrets Silversands and Riu Pacfico, and both were great experiences. I wouldn't want go in the first couple of weeks, but we have gone to several within a 30-60 days of the opening with good luck. The Secrets brand is well established so I would expect that they would try very hard to make sure the resort is ready for customers. As you probably have experienced, there can be some glitches, but for a good price you can live with them! Good luck!

6. Re: Thoughts on visiting a newly opened resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2013, 15:03