We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy will it really be?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How busy will it really be?

First off just wondering if anyone can comment on how busy the airport typically is on Christmas day? We arrive around 7:30 on Xmas night?

Second inquiry, we typically travel to PV in august when it isn't uncommon to be the only ones in a restaurant on any given night. We haven't been in PV for

Xmas for about 15 years so don't really recall how busy things will actually be.

Should we plan on making dinner reservations for most meals or it more just a case of having to wait for a bit to get a table.

We are traveling as a group if 7.

Thanks in advance!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy will it really be?

We travel to PV alot in the days just before Christmas, and the airport is usually very busy. The big marble room where you pass through customs, has been full of people, and even overflowing up the ramps and outside. Because Christmas day is on a weekend, I suspect it will be really busy this year.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy will it really be?

Bump

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,003 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy will it really be?

I've never traveled during the Christmas season before, so I'm preparing for the worst case scenario and hoping it will be better than that. In that regard, I'll be getting to all my necessary airports 3 hours in advance. I wouldn't normally, but then again I never fly on major holidays either.

If you have the ability to check in online in advance, I would highly recommend it wherever possible...this may not save you a ton of time, but it's also going to save anybody in your group from getting bumped, or any of the other myriad things that airlines can pull at the last minute.

From all I have been told, warned, advised about...this is one of the worst times of the year to fly, outside US Thanksgiving. Airports can, and will, be a nightmare. So I'm pretty much preparing for battle.

Edited: 13 December 2011, 03:02
SoCal
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy will it really be?

Just talked to the company we use to get to LAX about how early one should be on Christmas eve morning, they said at least 3 hours, and suggested 3.5 would be safer.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How busy will it really be?

We are hoping Christmas day won't be quite as busy as the 23rd or 24th but are still preparing for things to be crazy!

Can anyone comment about restaurants around town over the holidays. Should we expect to wait most everywhere we go? Should we plan on making reservations for most meals?

Thanks again for the info!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,003 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How busy will it really be?

It's high season and you're going with a large group. I think reservations would be a good idea in all instances. Especially if you're going to any of the popular places, or any place that is smaller and has a small staff. You'd do them a favour letting them know in advance to expect a large table.

If it was just two of you or maybe three you might be able to get away with no reservations in high season, but not with 7.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How busy will it really be?

I would think reservations are in order for higher end restaurants during the xmas/new year holiday -

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,229 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How busy will it really be?

We flew Christmas day a few years ago, actual Christmas Day, and it was very quiet. I think everybody is where they want to be if possible on Christmas Day itself.

Just a suggestion, if you normally celebrate Christmas, do it before you go. Nothing much happens Christmas Day in Mexico except for a few dinners in ex-pat restaurants.

Reservations are always a good idea, particularly for small places.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How busy will it really be?

The Xmas/new years time, will be busy with National Tourists, but the restaurants won't be overcrowded that much, most are outside the pay scale of the National Tourist, but Xmas /New years the actual days, I would reserve.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How busy will it really be?

I agree with JR about the reservations. Xmas Day and NYE reservations are needed if a popular resto. Otherwise you should not have a problem, particularly if you dine early or later (avoiding 7:30-8:30pm).

As for arrival in Vallarta on Xmas Day - I have arrived many times on the 25th and have found the airport quiet compared to days before and after.

Lastly I see PVJennybean is planning to be in Vallarta over the holidays. I wonder if she will have her hair in braids and wearing a stetson :) yew haw!