We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place to stay .....

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Good place to stay .....

I love Puerto Vallarta, but I haven't been in a long time.

In years past, I've stayed in Nuevo Vallarta at Villa del Palmar Flamingos. I've also stayed in the more budget friendly Playa Los Arcos in the Romantic Zone.

I absolutely loved the location of the Playa Los Arcos, but for this trip, I think I'm looking for something a little nicer.

Any suggestions for good places to stay where you can still walk to shops and restuarants? I really love the Romantic Zone, but am open to other areas. I prefer to NOT stay in Nuevo Vallarta or anywhere in that area as it's too far.

Thank you!

14 replies to this topic
Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Good place to stay .....

You might want to check Buenaventura and the more upscale sister hotel, Villa Premiere. Both in the hotel Zone but walkable to the Romantic Zone and Centro. Not sure of your budget, you might want to include that so people can help you. You do not state if you want to do all inclusive? There are some beautiful B & B's in the Romantic Zone and then you could enjoy the vast restaurants it's around there.

Edited: 04 September 2018, 19:41
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,606 posts
119 reviews
2. Re: Good place to stay .....

Grand Buenaventura and Villa Premiere are actually in North Downtown, so they're even closer than the Hotel Zone. You can see it on the map below. It would be less than a 10 minute walk to the Malecon.

http://vallartainfo.com/north-downtown-map/

The only other thing that might rival Playa Los Arcos in the Romantic Zone on Los Muertos beach, is Tropicana. I've only been inside some of the rooms at Tropicana, and haven't stayed there, but to me Tropicana was just a tad bit nicer, but only a little. Except Playa Los Arcos has added brand new rooms to the hotel on Olas Altas and Basilio Badillo, so of course those should be nice. However, the two places aren't equal in the pool area since Tropicana's is much nicer.

Edited: 04 September 2018, 19:49
Seattle
Level Contributor
51,261 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Good place to stay .....

Hacienda Alamana, Casa Fantasia, Garlands del Rio are B&Bs in that neighborhood.

There are also lots of great condos available that are 'a little nicer'... Selva Romantica, el Dorado, la Palapa, PlazaMar are traditional Mexican-style. Plus all the newbies: The Park, Oceana, Pacifica, etc. etc.

For hotels look at Hotel Rosita or The Tropicana but I believe they'd be considered about the same level as PLA?

Lodi, California
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Good place to stay .....

When are you going? How about vallarta shores?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
54 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Good place to stay .....

If you're open to taking a short (~5 minute) bus ride, go south of the Zona Romantica and stay at Lindo Mar, in the Conchas Chinas neighborhood. Great little gem of a hotel and every room has a great view of the ocean. Bus stop near the hotel and there are plenty of cabs too. Great restaurant onsite as well with 2 happy hours a day. It's a great respite after walking around PV all day :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,836 posts
205 reviews
6. Re: Good place to stay .....

I've stayed at both the places you mention (Villa del Palmar Flamingos and Playa Los Arcos) --- so relate to your description of them, as well as your needs.

Agree with above recommendations on Buenaventura Grand and Villa Premiere --- close by to many restaurants and shops. Also agree with recommendation on Lindo Mar. We've stayed there recently. Unfortunately no place to walk out your door and get to cafes and shops and restaurants, but it's only a cab/bus ride right into town. Short ride, once you get into the vehicles. Plop you right into the area near PLA.

Hotel Rosita mentioned above is below the "something nicer" than Playa Los Arcos. More budget rooms, so you probably wouldn't want that. I've stayed there recently and probably wouldn't again. We love the common area and the pool and older hotel ambience, but the beach "isn't" one (way too rocky) and the rooms are extremely basic. Doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

Having stayed at Villa del Palmar Flamingos though, you might consider Villa del Palmar PV. Close to everything via bus/cab (10 minutes) plus there are many restaurants and shops in the immediate area. Two major malls, and quite a variety of eats (from simple to fancy) within a 5 to 10 minute walk.

Have fun choosing. Welcome back.

Saskatoon, SK
Level Contributor
58 posts
135 reviews
7. Re: Good place to stay .....

Rent a condo. You can find amazing ones on Airbnb. With all the restaurants available in PV and such easy access to good food relatively close at hand, that's my go-to now in PV all the time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Good place to stay .....

Agreed with the condo option. I think there are more nicer condos in the area than there are nicer hotels. Depending on when you are going you can get an ocean front condo for just a bit more than a decent hotel. I think once you stay in an ocean front condo in ZR you'll probably never go back to hotels again!

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Good place to stay .....

VRBO #20700 is an example of a condo on the Malecon. We loved this condo. The only negative is the bar noise in the wee hours.

Sumner, Washington
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
434 reviews
10. Re: Good place to stay .....

I would look into the Tropicana. Not fancy but nice rooms with wonderful views. Great beach and ez walking distance to restaurants

Reply to: Good place to stay .....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted