We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those that rent condos...

Yankton, SD
Level Contributor
107 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
For those that rent condos...

I'm just curious what plan of attack you use in terms of transportation & groceries, supplies etc.

We are landing at around 12:30. We are staying south (Punta Negra) so I want to get from the airport to the store, then on to our condo.

Do you take taxi? I've always gotten a private transport but it's going to be around $80 (US) for the ride from the airport with an extra $20 for a 30 minute stop for groceries. ($100 total)

Seems excessive to me. Negril the stop was free and over in the Riviera Maya a stop was also free. I just don't know logistically if we take a taxi, will there be taxi's outside let's say La Comer hanging around to take us to the next leg (will there even be room for luggage and groceries)?

Or should we just head to the condo, go back to town and grab a bite to eat then off to the grocery store. So many choices...LOL.

Just curious what everyone else does.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
36 replies to this topic
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those that rent condos...

I'd take a federal taxi to the condo - get settled in and do my shopping the following day (bus into town and taxi back with my grocery bags). If you feel like you must do your shopping on the way down to Punta Negra then take a local Yellow cab (across the pedestrian bridge) to the store of your choice and have him wait for you or just pick up another taxi after you finish your shopping to go the rest of the way to your condo (there's always a line of them outside the grocery stores. Technically the federal taxis that you catch on the airport grounds are not supposed to make stops - the fare is based on point to point without stops along the way. Arranging private transportation is, of course, always a convenient option - just also the most expensive.

Yankton, SD
Level Contributor
107 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those that rent condos...

Thanks Fred!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those that rent condos...

Forgot to mention that Uber is a generally less expensive option for all of this if you're comfortable with using them - lots of happy Uber users in PV if you believe the comments here. I'm a dinosaur - no smart phone - so not really an option for me.

seattle
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those that rent condos...

You may want to see if the person/property management company you're renting your condo from provides or can recommend a "fridge stocking" service. I've used a couple of different ones and it's usually $25 - $30 for the service plus the cost of groceries. I used the services of my condo's property manager last time and they even had everything in the fridge and chilling when I arrived. $25 was an acceptable price for me to not have to lug lots of heavy water and bevs around by myself in the heat.

cheyenne
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those that rent condos...

You could use a grocery service. Pig Out Grocery Service will let you submit a list of items. It is not expensive and it will save you time and you can have everything delivered and it will be there before you arrive.

I see someone was writing at the same time! Great Idea!

Edited: 07 June 2018, 23:13
Yankton, SD
Level Contributor
107 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those that rent condos...

Great ideas using a service. I may have to talk my husband into that. Seems so much easier. But he had stated before that he wants the kids to experience getting groceries in Mexico. (don't ask me why?). We did this in Negril and it was quit the experience however seems like a lot of work and if they can be sitting there waiting for us, that would be amazing.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those that rent condos...

^^^^^I agree - a shopping service is a good idea if you're OK with letting someone else make your selections for you. I'm a finicky shopper though - only certain brands, are the bananas ripe, see things that I forgot to put on the list yadda yadda. Plus, and whether this is good or not depends on you, but I find grocery shopping when in another country a "cultural" experience that I rather enjoy.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those that rent condos...

As far as my personal plan of attack goes, it depends on how early or late in the afternoon we arrive at the condo. If earlier in the afternoon we get to the condo and unpack, then head to the store. But, if it's later in the afternoon and shopping is going to cut into our happy hour, lol we wait until the next morning to go to the store and just pick up coffee and milk and a couple other things at OXXO for the morning.

It's a little different since you're staying so far from stores. So if I was you I would consider using a regular cab from across the street from the airport, so you can spend what you saved on not using a transport on the food delivery service instead.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 23:39
seattle
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For those that rent condos...

You'll undoubtedly need to pick up extras during your stay so perhaps that's the time to take the kids shopping? It's nice to get off the flight, get down to your place and just chill (or avail yourself of happy hour as Kansas says)!

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For those that rent condos...

I am usually too tired the first day upon Arrival. So the following day, I walk or Uber and get groceries and stock up. I also use the little tienda's and stores close by as needed throughout my stay :)

Reply to: For those that rent condos...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted