We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balboa/Acqua Grand

International...
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Balboa/Acqua Grand

Does anyone know if they are continuing remodeling on this place or was it all a scam? Any info on this from someone there would be greatly appreciated,

usa
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Balboa/Acqua Grand

I read an earlier post and got the same treatment. If they feel that you are not interested they do leave you at the table wandering and will refuse your gift. It clearly is a BIG SCAM. They all sing different songs about the completion and one even made the joke, (they are on "Mexican time") which I didn't appreciate. It was just one big scam that is sad because there really are some nice programs out there with other properties. Run from AQUA. If you are interested go to another property that has a better reputation, they are plenty.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Balboa/Acqua Grand

Hmmm. Hate to cross that one off my list, as I'd like to see what's been/is being done. If I go, rjmacs, I'll report on it. I intend to be honest and up front with them, anyway, and polite whatever the treatment I get, "Show me the plans and progress, but show me the $".

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Balboa/Acqua Grand

I had no problems with their presentation last winter. There was remodeling going on and also guests staying there.

Villa Mar was my nasty scam experince!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Balboa/Acqua Grand

Yep. That was one of the couple I went to, Villa Mar, I'm sure. Got away with gifts, but it was very unpleasant due to the last "person" that came along; got out in short order, spent the dough.

Edited: 28 July 2011, 06:32
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
225 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Balboa/Acqua Grand

I just completed an exchange through RCI for a 2 BR unit in Feb 2012. I stayed there 5 or so years ago and really liked the Balboa Towers. You couldn't beat the location and the views were great from our unit that was pretty high up. Hopefully the remodelling will be done before Feb. I'll be sure to write a review after the upcoming trip.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Balboa/Acqua Grand

I was at the Aqua Grand in July and I did buy a timeshare. I was given a tour of a bachelor type suite, 1 bdrm and 2 bedroom. These rooms were finished and I was told that every unit would be furnished basically the same as the ones I viewed.

Im starting to feel like this timeshare is a scam myself since I got back and started reading the comments. I do have a friend in Mazatlan which Ive been thinking about contacting to check on the progress of the hotel. I was told by my salesman SAM that the hotel would not be completed until this time next year in July 2012. Reservations from what I understand can not be made at this hotel until it is finished and up and running.

Anybody out there that has gotten ripped off, Id love to hear from you. In the meantime I hope MAZ can keep us updated.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Balboa/Acqua Grand

I was at the Aqua Grand in July and I did buy a timeshare. I was given a tour of a bachelor type suite, 1 bdrm and 2 bedroom. These rooms were finished and I was told that every unit would be furnished basically the same as the ones I viewed.

Im starting to feel like this timeshare is a scam myself since I got back and started reading the comments. I do have a friend in Mazatlan which Ive been thinking about contacting to check on the progress of the hotel. I was told by my salesman SAM that the hotel would not be completed until this time next year in July 2012. Reservations from what I understand can not be made at this hotel until it is finished and up and running.

Anybody out there that has gotten ripped off, Id love to hear from you. In the meantime I hope MAZ can keep us updated.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Balboa/Acqua Grand

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Balboa/Acqua Grand

Amazing how a mega hotel with several hundred rooms & expansive immaculate grounds can be built from the ground up in less than a year & a remodel on an existing small property takes 2 years.

Just sayin.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Balboa/Acqua Grand

It's ongoing, but they wouldn't even let us visit. Many places, so I was told, were only offering tours to Nationals. Seems strange, but I also heard many budgets are 'dried up'. La Jolla gave us a free ride out there and back, but refused to show us the property once we got there, even though the tower is now built! 5 stories, I believe, and looks nice. The Mayan wouldn't let us in either. Very strange. We only toured the Inn, and got $150 in food certs. No drinks except juice, pop and such. Had a couple fine breakfasts, Wife had a good filet mignon (my New York sucked), good service, nice place, no sale. 10K asking price +/-. Adios. Didn't try any other place, told the El Cid no, ignored Las Flores; heard they were only offering to Nationals, too. ??? :)