We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

Kearney, Nebraska
5 posts
Save Topic
What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

A few friends and I are planning a trip over New Years for 7 days. I'm curious how the crime is. . .I've been doing research and from what I have read it got so bad that cruise ships stopped going to their port. We plan on flying in and staying at an all inclusive resort. . .Riu Emerald Bay. . .Any helpful advice or opinions? What should we avoid?

1. Re: What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 May 2011, 18:47
Kearney, Nebraska
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

So. . .would you recommend a different AI resort that might be closer to things? How about some tours. . .good or bad idea?

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

The RIU is a nice resort. It's not far to the Golden Zone by taxi. Maybe 10 minutes.

califonia
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

This board is pretty anti-AI, with good reason. Mazatlan isn't really an AI town... Lots of good cheap eats and drinks around town...

And yes 100 percent safe. I was there during the busiest week of the year... ZERO PROBLEMS. Mazatlan is full of genuine kind people.

Kearney, Nebraska
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

Thanks for the feedback!

Seattle
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

We've been twice in the last year with our 9 and 13 year old kids - we had a great time both times and at no time did we ever feel unsafe anywhere we ventured in Mazatlan. My husband and I just booked our 20th wedding anniversary - going back to Mazatlan in August, without the kids this time ;) You will have a great time!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

falconroger: While I know it is not your job, I was wondering if you could share with everyone where you get your information on pick pockets and purse snatching, i.e. is there a newspaper or police report one can go to? Thank you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

heids25: Here are a couple of newspapers you might want to read if you are already not doing so:

www.noroeste.com.mx/publicaciones.php…

In the noroeste newspaper click on mazatlan and then the security tab

http://mazmessenger.com/

Send me a personal message on trip advisor and I can send you more information.

Kearney, Nebraska
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

Well thank you loridge1 and mitchell54! All info is sooo helpful! I'll check the links and send you a message if I need or would like more info. :)

Seattle Wa
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the crime situation now in Mazatlan?

We are currently in day three of our third visit to Mazatlan since September. Nothing to report other then it is slow but still a fun place to visit. We have been down to the Centro District, to the market and just got back from Copola and Concordia today, no issues encountered or seen just friendly people and plenty of good food and cold beer for me while my wife enjoyed the shopping. Discussing the crime situation with the locals it seems the new mayors policy to counter crime with the elite police force and coming down hard on local corruption is working. Will report if we see or hear anything different.