We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report May 19 - 26th (Long Overdue)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
559 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report May 19 - 26th (Long Overdue)

The travelers: Me, age 25 and my boyfriend, age 29

This was my second and his first time to Mazatlan. He really enjoyed the culture and the feel of the city. I was really happy to be back . It is officially our place now because my boyfriend asked me to marry him the second night we were there on the rocks that jut out into the water on the beach in front of Las Flores where we were staying. I happily accepted and we were able to spend the rest of our trip celebrating our engagement!!

I'm going to list some places we went and how we enjoyed them

Gringo Lingo -

Arrived in Mazatlan at noon on Saturday. Took a cab to Las Flores. We were informed that our room wouldn’t be ready until 4pm so we changed clothes and went to eat. We ate the All you can eat seafood lunch for 120 pesos at Gringo Lingo down the street from the hotel. Had the shrimp ceviche, shrimp coctail, garlic shrimp, beer battered shrimp and empanadas for dessert. It was an excellent way to start the vacation.

Las Flores Resort - We had room 708. The room was clean and the view was great.

Gigante - Our first order of business after unpacking a little bit and relaxing was to go to Gigante for some beer and snacks.

We got four 6 packs of beer, some limes, 12 diet pepsis, some bottles of water, some diposable cups and a large bag of chips. Our total was around 290 pesos. I paid with my credit card. We also got some pesos out of the ATM at the Gigante. They put all of our stuff into a box for easy transport.

Joe’s Oyster Bar- Loud packed and crazy. What a cool place. It reminded me of a smaller version of Papas and Beer in Rosarito Beach Mexico.

Malecon - had many enjoyable walks during our stay.

Mazatlan Aquarium - Enjoyed the Aquarium. Highlight was the Diving show in which a diver got into one of the larger aquarium tanks with a couple of sharks and a large sea turtle as another person from the aquarium gave a talk about the animals. The presentation was entirely in spanish but it was very basic spanish so I could understand some of it. I was just really impressed with how the diver held onto the sharks as the speaker pointed out certain parts of it that were being discussed. The outdoor area of the aquarium was pretty cool too. Although we didn’t stay for the Sea lion show we did get a picture of the Sea Lions hanging out and playing before their show.

Rin Rin Pizza – a local chain. The pizza was a pretty nice change from Mexican food.

Pulmonia ride - Had a night tour of the city. The sites and views were spectacular.

Fondue Restaurant - Had dessert there one night and dinner there our last night. It was a very nice and inexpensive way to experience fondue. All of the waiters were very nice and either the Mexican or Irish Coffee are not to be missed due to the tableside preparation by the waiter. Very entertaining and the coffee drink is tasty but a little strong from the alcohol!

Panama Bakery - This was our favorite place to eat during the trip. We went there the first time to pick up pastries from the bakery and then we returned two more times for a sit down breakfast. Amazingly good and decently priced food. The chilaquiles were so good. I only wish we had enough room for a slice of pie or cake from the cart but we were stuffed everytime.

Centro Bus - This was our primary form of transportation all around the city. The bus was so easy to catch too. It also helped that I printed out a bus route map and brought it on the trip. I cannot imagine how much $$ we saved by doing this.

More to come as a reply

coming up -

Centro Market

Faro Lighthouse

The Place

Stone Island

Deer Island

Aztec massage

and Spiderman 3

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Las Flores Beach Resort
Las Flores Beach Resort
308 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Rosarito Beach
Rosarito Beach
429 Reviews
Rosarito, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Panama
Panama
1,665 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
559 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report May 19 - 26th (Long Overdue)

Faro Lighthouse - We did this hike on a hot day and it was a great workout. The pictures from the top were gorgeous.

Central Market - We bought some t-shirts from the market. I let my boyfriend do the haggling since it was his first time purchasing something in Mazatlan. For lunch we picked a busy looking lunch counter to eat at in the Market. It was delicious and super cheap. I had some marlin ceviche and he had some flautas. We totally felt like locals.

Plaza Machado/Cathedral - We enjoyed both of these sites.

The Place - We ate here and really liked the lobster special and all you can drink margaritas. We ended up having too many margaritas with some newly made friends until closing time. They were nice enough to give us to go cups for our margaritas.

Tony's- This place was definitely a fun place to go with a group. We had lots of drinks, enjoyed the music and then stumbled back to the hotel.

Stone Island - It was pretty empty when we went. We did enjoy Lety's though. We had a quesadilla and some shrimp. We also enjoyed the little cats that were coming around trying to get us to give them some food. They really made us think of our own cats at home.

We walked on the beach awhile and laid on the loungers in front of the restaurant for awhile.

Deer Island - We rented a Kayak and paddled out to Deer island. There isn't much on the island. We brought a few beers to enjoy as we relaxed on the island. It was fun to watch the little crabs in the sand.

Parasailing - We both went parasailing in front of Las Flores. The views were beautiful and it seemed very safe. felipe and the other guys gave very clear instructions.

Hotel Freeman - Sunset here was absolutely breathtaking.

Aztec Massage - An absolute steal! $20 for an hour massage was heavenly.

Spiderman 3 - On our last day there we didn't really have anything in particular we wanted to do so we decided to go to the movies. We saw Spiderman 3 in english with Spanish subtitles for 68 pesos. With the cost of going to the movies in the US going up this was a real treat.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Plaza Machado
Plaza Machado
1,716 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Las Flores Beach Resort
Las Flores Beach Resort
308 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
559 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report May 19 - 26th (Long Overdue)

Here are some other places we ate

Mr. A's - Thought it was alright.

Panchos - delicious

Arre Lulu's - Average

Senor Frog's - Average (it is a chain afterall)

Timeshare people - We were bothered by timeshare people everywhere we went. We just got really good at telling them no.

Best tips we got - Getting Pesos from the ATM

Bringing alot of $1 dollar bills for tips

Taking the centro bus.

We got the opportunity to meet Ferland on the Beach. What a nice man. =)

Everyone really is friendly too.

Some Downers -

jellyfish in front of Las Flores

Broken elevator for a few days of our stay

Possible Bed Bug bites in our room

Thin walls at Las Flores and neighbors with crying children.

Thanks to everyone who helped us out.

This was a really great forum.

Mentioned in this post
Pancho's
Pancho's
1,576 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Las Flores Beach Resort
Las Flores Beach Resort
308 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report May 19 - 26th (Long Overdue)

This is a really great forum, you are right.

And its trip reports like yours that make it that way!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!! Fantastic!

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report May 19 - 26th (Long Overdue)

Enjoyed reading your trip report! Sounds like you had a lot of fun and experienced a lot of places. I especially liked your report on the aquarium. I don't think many people know about it, and it's one of our favorite things to see each year. Did you try the tortilla soup at The Place? We love it so much that we have made it a tradition that on our first night in Maz we always go there to have the tortilla soup and steamed shrimp... It's a wonderful end to a long day of travel from Virginia. Glad you had fun.

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report May 19 - 26th (Long Overdue)

This forum is great, especially because of posts like this. I'm planning a trip for New Years with a group of friends. This will be my guideline! Congrats on the engagement!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report May 19 - 26th (Long Overdue)

So when is the wedding ??? Are we all invited to Mazatlan ....on that special day.....

Congrats, Disney Chicks

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report May 19 - 26th (Long Overdue)

Great trip report, and glad you had a good experience at Lety's on Stone Island. It looks like you really took in as much as you could in Mazatlan. You also picked the right place to take your boy friend to get him in the mood to propose. It is a very romantic place. You should consider the wedding in Mazatlan. If so, I'm in!

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report May 19 - 26th (Long Overdue)

I agree!!

June 25th is a great time for a honeymoon in Maz! (Hint Hint)

Hubby and I will be there having our second honeymoon 20yrs after the first, we will buy you some drinks!!

9. Re: Trip Report May 19 - 26th (Long Overdue)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 02:46