We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

great meal in mazatlan last night

houston
1 post
Save Topic
great meal in mazatlan last night

we were in from houston for a few days and stayed at the siesta inn, right on the ocean. we decided to eat at the shrimp bucket wow what a great atmosphere, we were introduced to Alejandro who is the owner , i didnt realize that the shrimp bucket was the corner stone of all the senor frogs and carlois and charlies and what a nice guy he sugested the crab tower salad and it was excellent ,the staff was friendly and the prices were great ,we were also delighted to have live music playing. a definite must if your in Mazatlan also the siesta hotel was unbelievably reasonable. both a must

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: great meal in mazatlan last night

And you didn't stop in and say HI? My office is 50 feet away, in the hotel!

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: great meal in mazatlan last night

See? I told this forum El Shrimp Bucket was doing a HUGE turn around.

I know Alejandro myself and he's doing one hell of a job turning it around. It had been stuck for so long in neutral.

I'm glad you had a great time babaloo...

Also very good, the Olas Altas Steak House right next door to El Shrimp Bucket. It's run by a guy from Houston who's doing a very good job. Both Shrimp Bucket and Olas Altas Steak House are slowly bring back to life the Olas Altas area.

Mentioned in this post
El Shrimp Bucket
El Shrimp Bucket
238 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: great meal in mazatlan last night

falconroger

What is your business?

I will be staying at the Hotel La Siesta at the end of August.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel la Siesta
Hotel la Siesta
256 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Kansas
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: great meal in mazatlan last night

Exactly where is the Olas Atlas area? Maps of Mazatlan rarely show a distance scale. We hope to walk to most places during the day from our timeshare at El Cid El Moro. We enjoy walking and walk several miles a day for exercise. Is Olas Atlas within a mile or two of the El Cid complex? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel
El Cid El Moro Beach...
2,154 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: great meal in mazatlan last night

MazCanadian.....I am in real estate here. At least for the last 9 years. The first 19 years I did nothing, but did I it VERY well.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: great meal in mazatlan last night

KansasPeople, Olas Altas is in Old Mazatlan. It is a 6 or 7 mile walk, Or a 90 cent bus ride. Or a $3 to $4 taxi ride. Quite a ways from the El Cid. I often recommend that people take the bus (Goes right in front of El Cid.....Sabalo Centro bus) which comes down the beach, turns inland and allways stops at the "Central Mercado". Get off, spend an hour. Then walk past the Cathedral, check it out. Then continue another block south to 'Constitution and walk to the right 2 blocks to Plaza Machado. Pick a restaurant to have lunch and a cold drink. Then walk 4 blocks further west to Olas Altas Bay. You will see the real city of Mazatlan, from the present day, back 150 years. Then grab a Sabalo Centro bus for the ride back to the El Cid, or, if you do indeed like to walk, head north along the Malecon (Beach road with a 20 foot wide prominade) back toward the hotel zone. If you get tired, walk across the street and flag down a bus or taxi to return to your hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Old Mazatlan
Old Mazatlan
850 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Plaza Machado
Plaza Machado
1,713 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Malecon
Malecon
2,239 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Kansas
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: great meal in mazatlan last night

falconroger, Thank you! We definitely want to visit the Cathedral and spend some time in the market district. Shrimpbucket sounds great!

Kentucky
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: great meal in mazatlan last night

Falconroger,

I noticed in one of the posts that you are in real estate; we were in mazatlan in june, and we were advised that some neighborhoods east (?) of the malecon were undergoing renovation and could be wise investments for retirement. We are somewhat interested in retiring in maz; what can you tell me?

Thanks,

Vonda

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: great meal in mazatlan last night

KansasPeople: To get an aerial view of the Centro area and Olas Altas go to Google maps. Enter Mazatlan, Sinaloa. Switch to Satellite.

The arrow points to the Centro Mercado. Zoom in on it. The Cathedral and Main Plaza are to the South and West. The Plaza is surrounded by red roofed buildings. Further to the South and West is the Plazuela Machado. The Angela Peralta theater is the building rounded on it's west side.

Olas Altas area is straight West of Plazuela Machado.

In the Golden Zone you can locate El Moro by the Helicopter H on its roof.

It is about 7 to 8 miles to Olas Altas but it is an easy walk. All along are little "supers" that sell cold beer for 7 to 8 Peso or 75 to 80 cents. You may use the restrooms in any hotel.

This is a must do walk for me several times every year.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Golden Zone
Golden Zone
393 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: great meal in mazatlan last night

vdavenport......send me a private e-mail off the list and I will be glad to share with you. mazhomes@mazinfo.com We want to keep this forum free of advertising and about vacationing to Mazatlan!

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico