We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New agency in town

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
31 reviews
New agency in town

In the last few days I have learned of a new agency here in Mazatlan. It is called "CAPTA" which translates to "Center for protection and attention for tourists".It was started in March, by the city of Mazatlan, and has been created to assist tourists, snowbirds, and ex-pats exclusively, in dealing with the different authorities if they have been victimized. Whether it is a pickpocket, strong armed robbery, burglary or fraud. YES, even Time Share fraud! They cannot deal with cases years in the past. Only recent. And they are NOT police, investigators, or judges. They are there to help foreigners deal with the complexities of the Mexican legal system. They will tell you who you need to deal with, what you need, and I believe, even help with translation. I know there AT LEAST two women who work there who are fluent in both English and Spanish. (One is a Gringa!)

If you become the victim of a crime, start there, and do it right away. Like I say, they cannot go back and help the hundreds who have been scammed in the past by the phony time share pitches, but if you get scammed NOW, they are there to help.

They are located in the SECTUR (Secretary of Tourism) offices on the Malecon, a bit south of halfway between the Gold Zone and Old Mazatlan, on the Sabalo Centro bus line. This is a big, modern, 2 story building that sits back a bit from the street with a drive in front of it. (They are not part of SECTUR. They rent space from them.) The address is Avenida Del Mar 882 and their phone number is 669-118-4256. Their hours for the public are 8 am to 7 pm Mon-Sat, and Sundays from 9-3.

3 replies to this topic
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: New agency in town

Thanks for the info. Hope nobody needs it.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: New agency in town

Great information

Thank you

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
268 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: New agency in town

Thank you Roger, you are always a great source of information and we really appreciate it.

Reply to: New agency in town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan