We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rentals

I am going to Huatulco and staying at a place on the way to Salina Cruz, Im debating about renting a car after reading about the horror stories of paying a price online and having to pay more for insurance any recommendations on a good car rental company or a shuttle service that goes further away from the city.

16 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Rentals

When you pick up, be sure they show you the spare tire and jack, & check that the spare is not flat.

(This in reply to the list of suggestions when renting).

Edited: 01 February 2017, 01:07
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Rentals

I wanted to update, I ended up renting a car from Los Tres Reyes, they picked me up at the airport and I drove down to a Surfcamp close to Salina Cruz. The car was a 7 passenger Journey in really good shape there was no hassle with insurance. I was covered by my card and their insurance. I had an excellent time and after 5 days they picked it up at a resort where I spent the rest of my trip. The Guys that brought the car where very friendly and I will probably use them again. The only difference is that next time I'll probably get a 4*4 so I can hit the more remote spots. Thank you for all your comments they were very helpful.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Rentals

Carlos,

I'm glad you had a good time.

Can your share the total cost of the 5 day car rental and details on how to arrange the rental with Tres Reyes?

I am taking a trip to Huatulco next month and looking at renting a car for the weekend to travel to Puerto Escondido and Mazunte.

Thanks

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Rentals

Hello Ricardo,

The cost was about 360.00 dollars for a 7 passenger dodge Journey. They charge in pesos so it also depends on the exchange rate. Their website is lostresreyescarrent.com just fill out the contact form and they will send you an email. I would recommend they drop it off at your hotel. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car Rentals

Renting a car in Mexico is always challenging, specially due the insurance issues. I had a bar experience with Only Rent a Car. Communication with them was OK, upon arrival I did receive an upgraded car model, that was great. Insurance was paid but including a waiver. At return, a very small scratch at the rear bumper was detected, just a scratch of 0.5 in2 (3.5 cm2) and they charged USD 100 for that repair!!! Is the first time that something like that has ever happen to me, after renting cars in a lot of different places of many countries!!!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
234 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car Rentals

Renting a car in Edmonton (and many other cities in Canada) in the winter is probably way more dangerous than renting a car in Mexico. Icy and snowy roads, freezing cold, icy windshields, it's only light between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., there are these huge trucks with huge blades on them (snow plows) and so many people drive way too fast in their jacked-up pick-up trucks. Some rental agencies have been known to take liberties with extra charges as well.

Having said that, after 12 trips I have never rented a car in Mexico. Y hablo espanol. The taxis and buses are very cheap.

Reply to: Car Rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco