We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rentals

I am going to Huatulco and staying at a place on the way to Salina Cruz, Im debating about renting a car after reading about the horror stories of paying a price online and having to pay more for insurance any recommendations on a good car rental company or a shuttle service that goes further away from the city.

16 replies to this topic
Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals

Taxis or local buses are about it out there. There will be a few posing to give you some rental advice. I have not rented a car here in years.

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
654 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals

In my humble opinion…nor should you ever rent anything with a motor on it in Mexico. Which includes, ski-doo's, boats, scooters, mo-peds or cars.

Our Insurance Broker (From Experience) has told us many "TRUE" horror stories about renting vehicles in any part of Mexico.

Not saying it can happen in the lovely Huatulco more so in PV and bigger areas….but why chance it? Like Pedro says…take a bus or Taxi's are incredibly cheep! This way you can enjoy the scenery while you get to your destination.

Edited: 22 October 2016, 19:55
Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals

I agree, take the bus or a taxi. We'd never rent a car anywhere in Mexico, if anything goes wrong, you have a major problem on your hands. Yes there's lots of stories of people trying to get one price and then being charged a higher price. Dont get sucked into that, take the bus or taxi. They are everywhere and cheap.

Boise Idaho
Level Contributor
844 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rentals

I guess a lot depends on how far from the Huatulco area your place is, Carlos.. you say "on the way to Salina Cruz". Salina Cruz is quite a long ways from Huatulco. Depending on where your place is, taxis may not be readily available.

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rentals

It is about 2 hours away we will be doing some surfing out there. That's why I was hoping for some insight on successful car rentals if there is such a thing.

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
654 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rentals

I'm sure there has been many of success stories on car rentals.

But unfortunately people only tend to post the downside of things!

Just do your homework on the different (rental companies) near by (google). And take lots of pictures and video of the vehicle you decide to rent (for back up proof). I have 3 close friends that live in Huatulco…I can ask them if they have an opinion if you like?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rentals

I can jump in with an upside view to renting cars in Huatulco, four times... some quads twice... and some jet-skis once, with no real downside experiences and no surprises. And, no problems with taxis either. Or walking.

Quads and jet-skis were sort of spontaneous and arranged with the help of some local folks we were familiar with from past business so it was all pretty easy and enjoyable.

Cars were from Europcar and Tres Reyes, and yes we were very much aware of the potential problems with Europcar but they seemed to be the lessor of all evils initially. We did the research and checked out how the insurance(s) worked, took pictures of the cars before we signed off and ventured up, down and around the coast - fascinating experiences we hope to repeat. Diving in Mexico is a whole other thing. Anyway, all the contracts were honoured as expected with no issues. Oddly enough, we never had anyone at Europcar that spoke transactional English so writing up the contracts took a while and a lot of off-side scribbling, drawing and pointing, but at Tres Reyes, the English was pretty good so everything was quick and clear.

So I guess if I needed a car from the airport I'd do business with Europcar again, but if I was in town and wanted to wander up and down the coast again I'd be talking to Tres Reyes.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rentals

Several years ago we rented from Hertz right at the Huatulco airport. I booked on line, you have to select that you want insurance, you can choose the type of car. Print and take the reservation confirmation with you, it may be valid or not. Our experience was somewhat nerve racking but in the end we did have a rental car. Just because you have a confirmation in hand doesn't mean they have it in their system? strangely enough that was the case. Purchase the extra insurance as your insurance back home means nothing in Mexico. It's insanely expensive to rent a car in Mexico. We rented a mini van and the cost was almost 4000.00 for the month. If you are in a remote area and want the luxury of picking up and doing what you want when you want then this is the price you pay. Driving in this area of Mexico was fine and not a problem compared to some other areas of Mexico we have driven in.

Good luck and have a fantastic holiday in the sunshine.

Edited: 28 October 2016, 23:02
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rentals

We rented a compact car from EuropCar in Huatulco for a couple of weeks in late November ad early December 2016. The car had a few dents and rattles but ran fine for the 2000 kms we put on it over toll roads and dirt roads, from Puerto Escondido to Guatemalan border. Pick and drop off were not issues, and once we figured out the rules, insurance was a non-issue. Basically they do not honor anything but what they issue, including your credit card backed coverage. We took the minimum coverage and paid the hefty deposit and did not have to find out if our credit card would have accepted a claim after the fact. We have done this same sort of rental in Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, the Dominican Republic and in several Mexican locations and the only variance is if they accept the credit card coverage. If they do, then the rental cost is higher. It always comes out to $350 to $500 for two weeks. Thankfully we have never had to make a claim. In part this is because the vehicles have not been pristine when we have picked them up and in part because touch up paint and sometimes minor bodywork is cheap so long as you don't look/act too Gringoish. No, I don't feel guilty about doing minor repairs as I have also fixed minor faults on these cars that had nothing to do with me. In the end I figure it is a Karma issue and what goes around comes around.

Here are some tips for renting in Mexico and Central America gleaned from 14000 claims free rental kilometers over 15 rentals:

* Keep your eyes open and take nothing for granted;

* Go slower than you would on the same sort of road "back home"

* Remember it is their rush hour and you are on vacation, so enjoy the experience

* Understand that being right is not as important being

* Distinguishing between order and chaos are sometimes a matter of experience and really not your business in a place you are just visiting ...

* Go with the (traffic) flow even if that means several trips around the same circle

* In urban areas, lock your doors and roll up your windows and enjoy the view

* When fording a river or creek, wait and watch a locals do it unless you are very sure of yourself and/or the trail

* Ask directions before you leave the location you know and where possible map the journey with waypoints such as town names and landmarks from which you know the distance to the next such thing.

* GPS info can be dated and inaccurate and machines break. Carry a map as back up or as your primary source of information.

* Do not flash your toys or wealth and keep such things in a secure place when parked and always out of sight.

* Smile and look content

* Keep a two sided copy of your driver's licence handy for use if you have to hand one over

* Take a video clip or lots of pics of the rental car when you pick it up so that if you are told you are the cause of damage that was there before you, you can show the agent the error.

Anyone have any other rules to add?

San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
504 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rentals

We always (10 times now) rent a car when we fly into Cancun and head (as fast as we can) South to the Mayan Riviera. Things there are at more of a distance and taxis and buses are not as affordable there as in Huatulco. In Huatulco I recommend local transportation, buses, vans, and taxis.

For example from Hotel Villablanca you can take a taxi to the second commercial central for thirty pesos then get in a 15 passenger van for Pochutla (for 10 pesos) but get off at the Crusero (interchange) and there taxis are waiting to take you to the San Agustin Beach for approx 110 pesos. I would not want to take a rental car down that road or on some of the roads up by the coffee plantations. Without a doubt a rental car is not needed in Huatulco.

Reply to: Car Rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted