We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for locals...safety??

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Question for locals...safety??

Quick question. We have NEVER had a problem in Huatulco but something happened this year that made me more cautious. We usually walk to our fav beaches.....in particular Playa Punta Arena. We had been there twice this year and went for a third time, but hubby had stubbed his toe (broke it really) and walking was out of the question so we took a cab. The lady driver issued us great warning about watching our backpack and money....she said there were people watching and to be very, very careful....ruined my day at the beach (please note, we had no problems!).

So, have any locals heard of any safety issues at these quiet beaches? Was this just an overprotective cabbie?

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for locals...safety??

I walk punta arena several times each week

Heck there is usually no one else there

I swim there and leave my stuff on the beach

I have never had a problem

but I do not leave cameras , large amount of money or those type of things

Huatulco is like all smalltourist towns

of course it is safe but if you are stupid you may end up loosing something

The locals know that you are the goose and the golden eeg and will do all that they can to make sure you are safe

but there are other tourists here from all over the world and some of them may like your stuff enough to take it

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for locals...safety??

In my experience I have found the Mexican locals much more concerned (paranoid?) with safety than most tourists! I am sure the driver had heard of one incident on that beach and so was just trying to be helpful but I don't think there's any evidence that this sort of thing is on the increase.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,462 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for locals...safety??

This has always existed.

I remember a similar warning our first trip to the area, about 6 years ago at least now. We had heard a story of a couple who were swiming at Conejos at that back 'secret' beach and someone darted out of the trees and grabbed their packs and ran.

I think it should be common sense for most people to not leave their belongings on a beach unattended, and deserted beaches even more so. Hubby and I always take turns going swimming or snorkeling for this reason.

I would imagine because of the reduction in tourism because of the economy and swine flu and drug war, things such as this may have slightly increased in the past year or so? But that really is pure speculation.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for locals...safety??

Rissack

I wish you were here

the tourism has not slowed down at all

No worry about flu or economy

If you are really concerned about the things that you have on the beach

Put your belongings in plastic and burry them in the sand

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,462 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for locals...safety??

My aunt and her husband just returned from a week there over xmas. We were there with them the same week two years ago, they said it was much quieter this year than last trip.

Also they stayed at the same hotel, the Villas Coral, and Luisa said it has been quieter, although 'high season' just started, of course. Two years ago we paid $1400 pesos a night for rooms there, this year they paid just $700 a night, for larger rooms. I assumed this was because they were hurting for business somewhat....I had read all of Mexico has been-but maybe Huatulco has not been as much as other places.

As far as theft of valuables, I just think that is something that has always existed, everywhere, is all. We don't usually take much with us to the beach anyway, to worry about. Burying it in a plastic bag is a good idea. :)

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for locals...safety??

I know there are lots of businesses that are struggling but - it is definitely as busy this Christmas season as I have ever seen it. Just the volume of people who were here, it was certainly busy in town, the restaurants in the square at Crucecita were packed over the past week.

We are looking forward to a return to somewhat normal after the weekend :)

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for locals...safety??

Before we went for a month this November, I bought a plastic, waterproof, small case on a thin rope that I wear over my neck and tuck into my bathing suit. It can easily hold paper money, coins, and a key. When we go to the beach and plan to eat, I can take plenty of money and not worry plus we can swim and snorkle together! I found it on the internet at the suggestion of someone here.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for locals...safety??

I agree with KT- BRT

This has been a very busy season so far

It seems that since Christmas was on a friday we did not get the biggest crowds until the weekend after christmas but it has been crazy with people here this last week

I am hoping that we will return to normal this monday (4th)

I personally do not believe drug wars 1000 miles away have bothered the tourism here at all

Yes there are fewer americans but this has been a trend for the last several years

But there are even more canadians (god bless the canadians)

The bologna over swine flu was been blow way out of proporation and most realize it now

Yes the US economy has taken some big hits

But people still want to get out of the cold and snow

I know that we here at our Villa are having a very good season

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for locals...safety??

I think the nice part about pesos is that they seem to be totally waterproof. I take them with me when I swim, and don't worry about them getting wet.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for locals...safety??

Thanks for all the answers. I have never felt uneasy and am careful but the cabbie warning just made me curious as the whether there had been problems. We have met so many great people at this beach and it is our favourite!!

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco