We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 days outside of Huatulco. Manzunte? Zipolte?

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 days outside of Huatulco. Manzunte? Zipolte?

we're booking our third trip to Huatulco for Feb 2018. Not doing a package this time, putting it together ourselves. We come for two weeks and are thinking of spending 10 days likely at Casa Danna (Villa Blanca has outpriced us) and wondering about 4 days in Mazunte/Zipolte. If we did that where would people suggest as in what area and perhaps even what property?

thanks for your help.

Mexican Cooking Class
4 reviews
from US$ 85.00*
Special Offer
Sierra Madre de Oaxaca Day Trip...
1 review
from US$ 62.10*
US$ 69.00
Special Offer
Huatulco National Park Sightseeing...
7 reviews
from US$ 38.69*
US$ 42.99
8 replies to this topic
chicago
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 days outside of Huatulco. Manzunte? Zipolte?

That was the trip we did last March. We spent 6 nights in San Agustinillo, staying in the top apartment at La Mora Posada. You can see my review of it for pics. I think that was the best place in SA. Steps from the beach, huge 1 bedroom apartment with kitchen, AC and hot water. Great terrace overlooking the ocean. Please be aware that a lot of places in that area do not have air conditioning or hot water. The lack of a/c doesn't bother me but if it doesn't have a/c, that means it probably doesn't have screens or windows that close. Lots of open air, palapa-style accommodations. Cool if that works for you, but I didn't want any unwelcome visitors in my room. Only looked at one place in Zipolite, Posada Mexico. Again, for,the same money but a much smaller room, no a/c. We did spend a couple afternoons there, great place to sit, cheap drinks.. While I found there were more restaurants in Zipolite, the beach is just too much for me. In SA I could go in the water (depending on where we were on the beach). Very clear water.

As,far as Mazunte, we went there one night for dinner and to check out the beach to return the next day. Wasn't impressed at all. Beach was very narrow and steep. Restaurant scene didn't impress me either. Overall the impression that I got was a little dirty. Lots of places with tents. And then we waited for 45 minutes for a taxi back, ended up walking (wasn't far, maybe 15 minutes). IMO, San Agustinillo is the place to stay, much cleaner.

We also spent the last few days at Villablanca, where we usually stay. But when I first started looking, it was priced way out there. As it got closer (couple months out), prices dropped back down. Feel free to pm me for any other questions. I wasn't sure if I would like staying in SA for the whole time. Now that I've done it, would do it again.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 days outside of Huatulco. Manzunte? Zipolte?

I like San Agustinillo. Un Sueño works for basic. Punta Placer a little nicer. No night life.

Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 days outside of Huatulco. Manzunte? Zipolte?

We spent had 2 weeks in the Huatulco area. We spent the first 6 nights at Binneguenda. We then left for a 3 night stay in Oaxaca city, we flew on Aerotucan so it was a quick 35 minute flight. We then returned to the Binneguenda for the remainder of our vacation, we were back at the hotel by 10:30 am on the day we flew back. I highly recommend a trip to Oaxaca, it it a really neat city with a lot to see, and was a nice break from a beach style vacation.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 days outside of Huatulco. Manzunte? Zipolte?

hmm. that is an interesting option. What airlines did you fly? did you book it when you got to Mexico or ahead of time? do you mind sharing what the cost was.

thanks for your suggestion.

Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 days outside of Huatulco. Manzunte? Zipolte?

We flew on Aerotucan.I purchased our tickets about 7-8 weeks in advance before we left online using the chat feature and email. It was a very small plane but it was all good! For my husband I to fly return it was approximately $500 Canadian. I believe you can get a discount if you book on Thursdays. I also know that there is an Aerotucan office in the little mall in Crucesita (with the movie theatre)

We loved Oaxaca. We stayed very near the Zoccalo. We hired a private driver to take us to sites around Oaxaca. We started at Hierve de Agua, which are natural pools of water and petrified waterfalls. We continued on Mitla to some fantastic Zapotec Ruins. After Mitla we went Teotitlan, where we had a demonstration on how they make rugs on the loom. After that we traveled to Tlacochahuaya to the Don Agave Mezcal tour where we ate and had a mezcal tasting. Our last stop was El Tule where we saw the largest tree in Mexico, over 2000 years old!

We also spent a half day at Monte Alban ruins, which were amazing.

Lots to see and do for sure. We ate at some fabulous restaurants and visited some churches and museums. I'm glad we went!

We thought that 3 nights, 4 days was perfect for us to get a taste of Oaxaca.It was very busy, and we were happy to return to the beaches of Huatulco when our visit was over.

chicago
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 days outside of Huatulco. Manzunte? Zipolte?

In some future lifetime of mine, when I can stay for two weeks or longer, I would love to visit Oaxaca like you did.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 days outside of Huatulco. Manzunte? Zipolte?

thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm leaning towards Oaxaca if we can sort out transportation. I like the idea of having two different kinds of holidays in one.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,953 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 days outside of Huatulco. Manzunte? Zipolte?

You might like my friend Dean's blog entries on his trip to this area last year...

https:/…

Reply to: 3-4 days outside of Huatulco. Manzunte? Zipolte?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
Recent Conversations