We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much In spending?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How Much In spending?

Hi all! Disclaimer, I know this answer varies from person to person but I'm just trying to get a general idea. We will be in Huatulco next week (not staying at an AI), and I am exchanging usd to pesos to bring with. How much in pesos should I bring? We were planning on using our credit cards for dinners and any bigger purchases, but wasn't sure how much to bring per day for general spending money/lunches/ etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Much In spending?

My husband and I spent around 8000 pesos in a week. We did not use credit cards and did not go on excursions. We bought all meals, a few taxi rides, tips and a couple souvenirs.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Much In spending?

You can use your ATM card here so you don't need to bring a lot of pesos. Smaller restaurants don't all take credit cards. Suggest you let your bank know you will be here and using the bank card at ATM's and your credit card.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Much In spending?

Not knowing your spending habits, how much is a difficult question

I would suggest using pesos for most everything and you will get a good exchange at home

Bank machines are not always reliable and do charge sometimes quite high fees

Credit cards are not as loved and accepted in Mexico except at higher end places

Think what you would spend at home to do what you intend doing and divide that amount in half then change your money into pesos

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Much In spending?

I'd suggest approximately 10,000 pesos for a week more or less depending on what you do and where you eat. Most places do not take credit cards so be prepared to pay in cash. I'm always ruling on the safer side and take extra just in case - have fun!

Reply to: How Much In spending?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted