We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion as to what to do on cruise port day

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Suggestion as to what to do on cruise port day

I and my wife will be arriving Huatulco from the cruise ship next month and would like to go on our own instead of joining the excursions from the ship. I would appreciate any suggestion as to what to do to see the most in HUatulco. (We are not water activities persons). Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion as to what to do on cruise port day

You could hire van and driver. The 5 ships scheduled to visit in May are here at least 9 hours. Even allowing for getting off and onto the ship you would have time to see a lot.

There are many options but I would suggest you book direct. Our go to tour operator in Xpert Travel. Eric Sanchez and his partner run a professional tour and transport company. Their drivers are responsible and knowledgeable and speak English.

ericsanz@yahoo.com or mexreservations@gmail.com

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
700 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion as to what to do on cruise port day

A boat tour, you'll get to see some of the bays trhat you can ge there only by boat, a drive up to the coffee plantation, what Huatulco Pedro mentioned a tour to Hagia Sofia and a cooking class, those are the ones that come to mind.

Alfredo

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion as to what to do on cruise port day

If you like photography, we run photo walks in Crucecita with a published professional photojournalist. We take you on a entertaining guided walk and teach you tips, tell you a bit about the town, and we stop for you to take photos and ask questions or get feedback.

If you want an intimate look at the bays with a lovely lunch on the beach provided, Hurricane Divers is a great option.

Hagia Sofia is a wonderful botanical garden and you can book direct with them. Their office is in Santa Cruz very close to the pier, and they offer a package with transportation there and back.

If you are a foodie, try Alfredo's Wahaca Cooking.

Pedro's idea of a private or group van and tour is a great idea. There are many providers and you can find one with a little research. Xpert travel does this, and they are a solid company with a wide range of non-water activities. But you won't go wrong with any of the providers that have good reviews here on TA.

If you happen to be here on a Monday, a van and driver can take you up to the Pochutla market, about 35 minutes a way. That's an experience. And also the Copalita ruins and Bocana beach. If you want to do something really amazing, there is a place in Copalita that rescued over 400 baby parakeets and parrots, and they need volunteers everyday to help feed them. It is an experience like no other. The birds may have been released by the time your cruise is here, but that would be easy to find out.

Enjoy your cruise.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion as to what to do on cruise port day

a bay tour leaving from Santa Cruz , the same place you get off the cruise ship

You may want to arrange a private small boat if you do not wish to do sanorkelling stops

Or take a taxi into crucecita and wander around going for lunch and snacks

There are many small restaurants with great food

Taxis are cheap , only two dollars to crucecita from the ship

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion as to what to do on cruise port day

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Is it safe to hire a driver at the cruise port if I do not book in advance? Is there any public transportation other than taxi near the cruise port?

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion as to what to do on cruise port day

Lots of options available at the dock but I suggest you pr-book. As I indicated Xpert travel are reasonable and excellent. Your choice and enjoy the day. If you are in May 5th it will be a busy day as there are 2 ships scheduled.

San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
505 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion as to what to do on cruise port day

Just curious you all are not water activity persons what are you doing on a cruise ship?

Reply to: Suggestion as to what to do on cruise port day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco