We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US State Department Recently Issued Travel Warning

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
US State Department Recently Issued Travel Warning

I have just found out that the State Department has issued a travel advisory for the Ixtapa / Guerrero / Acapulco resort areas. I am booked to stay at Play Viva (a beautiful eco friendly tiny resort) located in nowhere's-ville Julucuca, Mexico. I am now beginning to wonder if I should heed the warnings and forego the trip (and 2K spent in non refundable payment.)

I don't want to be LIttle Miss Worry Wart, but as a single female traveler I also don't care to receive TA's 2011's Idiotic Traveler of the Year Award by ending up on "Vanished without a Trace."

Thoughts anyone????

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US State Department Recently Issued Travel Warning

You will be staying near Zihuatenejo which is 150 miles away from Acapulco (so you should post in that forum if you haven't already done so). There is no advisory for Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo. The warnings do not say "don't go" (or "avoid non-essential travel") they say "exercise caution" - not particularly bad advice wherever you go! There has not been a single drug-related incident involving tourists anywhere near where you will be staying - I really wouldn't have any concerns.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US State Department Recently Issued Travel Warning

The travel warnings are most likely for liability purposes. If they didn't issue a warning I wouldn't be suprised to find a precedent in US law that would make the state dept. liable if something bad were to happen. It's not a tourism war, it's a drug war. Stay away from such activities as: dealing drugs, extorting shop owners , starting up a cartel, ect...

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US State Department Recently Issued Travel Warning

While things have taken a turn for the worst, the likely hood of something happening to you is like getting hit by lightning. I'd go ahead with your plans and use caution, but that's a personal choice. I certainly would not want to lose 2k out of fear alone. If there was an active civil war, that would be different.

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US State Department Recently Issued Travel Warning

Friends of ours visited us earlier this spring and had booked 4 days at Playa Viva which I had never heard of. They were enchanted. You should contact them with your concerns, they are very professional, they will pick you up in a van at the airport or any other place, in the case of our friends, our place. Our friends dont speak Spanish, the driver speaks perfect English. I was told the place is very secure and staff can accompany you to any excursion you wish.

What you might want to think about is bringing mosquito repellant, it is a very lush area. My friends were first timers in Mexico and would not have visited if it weren't for us being there, they told me it was one of their best experience and they have travelled the world more than once.

I hope this helps and that you will have a wonderful time. Please post a review.

5. Re: US State Department Recently Issued Travel Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 06:46
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco