We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

( Beware of Police Corruption)

ma.
Level Contributor
49 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
( Beware of Police Corruption)

just got back from a nice 18 day trip, I own a villa in ACA and been going there for 47 years. Just last week we were driving back from a day at Boca Chica Hotel (great snorkeling there) I got pulled over by two policeman they checked out the reg. everything was in order it was a brand new car from hertz rental, It was the first time it was rented 11 Killometers on the car. He then asked for my license I said what for he said he was going to give me a ticket,iasked what for he said it was a 600 peso fine around $60us Isaid your crazy I dont know what I did wrong but I;ll give you 100 pesos just to let me go. he said no give me 500 pesos. We negotiated how much right on the street. He kept telling me 500 pesos I finally gave him 200 Pesos just to get out of there, He asked the other cop if that was enough then put the money in his pocket and said okay I could leave. I told the agent at Hertz about the problem he said I should have give him the keys to the car and take a cab to the Hertz office they would have taking care of it. So if you drive while your there just beware theres still quite a few corrupt cops there. Try not to give them your license, because you'll really have to pay more to have them give it back to you.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: ( Beware of Police Corruption)

The same thing happened to my father in Puerto Vallarta recently and in Acapulco many years ago with the police. They pulled him over and asked for money. He demanded that they go to the police station and pay the fine there. Both times the police said it was O.K. and let him go.

LoverofACA

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ( Beware of Police Corruption)

Refuse to pay the bribe and accept the ticket. Tell the officers you want to go to the police station, now, and resolve the matter. Oftentimes, they go on their way and leave you alone. Paying bribes only encourages these crooks to keep ripping-off tourists (and locals, too).

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ( Beware of Police Corruption)

and for any one else who runs in to this problem get a name they all have a name tag on with out a name there is nothing you can do about it......but i will send a copy of this to the the borad of tourism here in acapulco sorry to hear about this and yes we still do have a few rotten apples in the basket here......zzaa

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ( Beware of Police Corruption)

If you haven't done anything wrong do not let them intimidate you!!

AND DON'T GIVE THEM YOUR LICENSE!! OR ANY LEAGAL PAPERS!!!

Call their bluff and get their name from their name tage etc. You can go to the station with them or if you really have done a driving offense try to come to a compromise of something$ Going to the station wastes allot of time but obey the signs and lights and there is no reason for them to stop you!

They have no right to stop you unless you have commited an offense and they are just hasseling you!!!

So beware!!

More so by Caleta area I am told!

OJO!! (keep your eyes open and enjoy legally your vacation!!)

Acasun......

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ( Beware of Police Corruption)

I've been stopped 5 times total. By various agencies (local, federal, army). I will not pay a bribe...period. If they can explain what my violation is, that's something else. (Only once did I do something illegal that I didn't know was illegal...he let me go w/o a hassle.) I've told them on 2 occasions that I will follow them...to the American consulate! But not downtown. Paying the bribe just continues the cycle of corruption. Granted, my small "no, I'm not paying you" doesn't do much, but at least I feel like I'm not contributing to the cycle.

One of them took my license and told me I couldn't leave the country...I informed him I had my passport and there was nothing he could do about taking my passport. He threw my license in the car window, telling me to go on.

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ( Beware of Police Corruption)

way to go texas.....that is what you have to do .......dont pay that bribe ......and by the way there are not stupid for you have not commited an offence they will not take you in to the station......call the bluff i say.....and when driving in acapulco keep a pen and paper on hand and look at the name tag and write it down in front of them and let them know that you have the telephone number to report this directly......because there is one....lol.....this will be my next post this phone number that is provided by the goverment...... that should be sufficent......tell them to give you the ticket but DO NOT pay them off......no good.....zzaa

ma.
Level Contributor
49 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ( Beware of Police Corruption)

ZZaa wheres that phone # to call about the corrupt police?.

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: ( Beware of Police Corruption)

hang on it comes on a comercial when the evening news is on ....i will have a pen handy....zzaa

California
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ( Beware of Police Corruption)

get a copy of the license give them the copy NEVER YOUR LICENSE--do NOT pay these cops....tell them you will pay the fine and will follow them to the station. GEt thier names.

I paid them $40 because i didn't know whatelse to do. BUT NOW I KNOW> get them only a copy of your license that way they can't play the license game with you--taking yor license and then ask you for money.

California
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ( Beware of Police Corruption)

First day I rented a car, I was driving very carefully using my blinkers so that was a good indication I was a " dumb tourist!" A parking enforcement guy not even a cop pulled me over saying that I had ran a red light. When I told them the light was green, he told me the was another light on the corner which I did not see. Yeah Right!!!!!

So he took my license and told me to come to the station to the day after and pick up my license where I had to pay $80 US. i WAS SO UPSET. But kept my cool. I told him I give you $20, he told me $40 will do. Reluctantly and because I was scared I gave this idiot $40 US.

The idiot told me I should be more careful---I guess he meant next time don't use you blinkers when youu turn, honk all the times---and make many illegal U-turns that way we know you are one of us and not a dumb tourist.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco