We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What has happened to Acapulco?

East Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
107 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
What has happened to Acapulco?

Okay, I just read a creepy review under Hotel Elcano. The reviewer did not have a problem with the hotel, but talked about being constantly accosted on the streets by prostitutes and offered drugs at many bars. I will be traveling with my husband and two very attractive teenage daughters. Do I need to be worried? Was this reviewer for real? What are your thoughts?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What has happened to Acapulco?

There is a certain stretch of town where that does happen after hours (after midnight mostly) but I lived in Acapulco for 5 years and never got accosted by anybody. certainly a simple "No" will get rid of them - which is more than I can say for the timeshare salesmen (they're much tougher).

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What has happened to Acapulco?

Don't let one review ruin your vacation. You will be traveling as a family and the chances of this happening to you are almost nil. Go to Acapulco and enjoy the beautiful sites, the people, and the good food.

Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What has happened to Acapulco?

I am here and all you need to know is the word "no', HELLO.....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What has happened to Acapulco?

We got asked a few times a day to buy drugs or women, even though I was with my wife. This happened during the daytime as well while drinking at Caleta beach as well as walking down the Costera. No Gracias works quite well to get rid of them.

It happened more frequently while in Cabo by the marina. It happened in Cancun. It happens less in PV and even less in Mazatlan. I did not see it in Zihua or anywhere else we've been in Mexico.

You will get this in just about any tourist location, though. It is not just a Mexico thing by a long shot.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What has happened to Acapulco?

My sister-in-law said the worst place for this was Jamaica, one of the places we haven't been.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What has happened to Acapulco?

I have heard the same thing about Jamaica, but could not comment because I haven't been.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What has happened to Acapulco?

I was in Jamaica for a day on a cruise stop; an interesting place to spend a day, but certainly not a destination that I would choose for an entire vacation.

I have been offered drugs in Acapulco, but those characters will disappear when you say "no gracias". I wish that the timeshare sharks would do the same.

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What has happened to Acapulco?

just because someone has posted this remark does not mean it will happen to you..................been living here for over 30 years and have not been offered drugs or anything else for that matter...........a simple no goes a long way..........................just as stevemex has mentioned cant say the same for the time share sales men who do have a more aggresive attitude............i think in a city in the world today we all have the same problems not just in acapulco..........then again just my two centavos worth......i say come on down enjoy the perfect weather and relax..........zzaa

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What has happened to Acapulco?

Not so many years back you would have to seek out certain cantinas in certain areas of town to get that kind of attention (lol). With the decline of the traditional "zona" I'm sure those activities moved elsewhere, but as every other poster points out, it's a big city and "No" works. Give us a report after you've enjoyed some first had experience?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What has happened to Acapulco?

I have been going to ACA for the last 15 yrs with my travel buddy and only have been asked a few times which is not much seeing I usually hang out on the Costera every night of my stay (sometimes as late as 2-3 AM.)