We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterrey to Dallas on Autobuses Americanos

tx
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Monterrey to Dallas on Autobuses Americanos

At the end of February '09, my husband and I took Autobuses Americanos from Monterrey to Dallas. We were treated very well by the ticket agent, bus drivers (drivers changed during the trip), and by the border guards on both side of the border. A totally pleasant border crossing on both sides! The drivers were excellent. It was a fine trip, and we'll take Autobuses Americanos again.

The bus was not new but was in OK condition, just a bit worn. Seats were fine, but we found out that several people had been assigned to the seats we had chosen when we bought tickets. Oh, well, there were plenty of seats, and we were traveling by day, so we weren't needing to get a good night's sleep. We were glad we were NOT traveling overnight on this bus. It would not have been comfortable to try to get a decent night's sleep. (We haven't found Executive or First Class service from Mexico traveling into Texas.)

My husband's classical guitar case fit well in the rack above the seats, so we got home with it in good condition. We checked our roller bags and watched to make sure our bags stayed with us under the bus when we stopped at bus stations in various cities. (We had read about people who had missing luggage, but we had no problem at all.)

My husband used the bathroom on the bus, and he reported to me that it was "really basic." So, I was hesitant to use it, but I never had to, since the driver stopped once in Mexico for snacks and bathroom. Also, the bus stopped at stations with fine bathrooms in Nuevo Laredo, Laredo, San Antonio, Austin, Waco, and Dallas. All of the bathrooms were clean.

We changed buses only one time and that was in San Antonio, TX.

Other passengers were courteous, and we were glad we tried bus travel on Mexican buses. We'll travel by bus when we return to Monterrey and on to Guadalajara next winter.

Our bus trip took a couple of hours longer than we were told, but you're never going to be able to tell about traffic or road conditions, we think. Also, there was a young lady from Monterrey who had forgotten some of her papers, so we waited for her to work this out at the US border.

We didn't get off the bus at the Dallas station (yep, it was the Greyhound station), riding instead on over to the Westmoreland Road station in Arlington. That's where we phoned our friends who were coming to pick us up. That small station was clean and new, and we were fine waiting for our ride.

Altogether, our bus trip was a pleasant experience. The best part was not having to drive on I-35 once again, we think.

1. Re: Monterrey to Dallas on Autobuses Americanos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 12:47