We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing border & safety staying in Agua Prieta, MX??

Tennessee
2 posts
Save Topic
Crossing border & safety staying in Agua Prieta, MX??

as a female possibly traveling alone or with one other person...how safe is it to cross the border in Douglas/Agua Prieta? and is it safe to stay in the town of Agua Prieta for a couple of days? and will i make it not speaking much spanish (with basic needs...or road travel/directions)??

seems like i haven't read or heard anything too bad about the town yet?

Arizona
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing border & safety staying in Agua Prieta, MX??

Crossing the border at AP is reasonably safe. If you are a single female I would not recommend wandering around after dark by yourself. In the daytime you should be ok sticking to well populated areas. La Hacienda is a hotel very close to the border which I would recommend(it also has a very good restuarant and off-street parking)You shouldn't have too much trouble finding some english speakers there if necessary.Let me know if you have any other questions, I live five blocks from AP in Douglas.

Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing border & safety staying in Agua Prieta, MX??

Further question for local knowledge. I found this thread doing a search.

Is there any hotel in Douglas that is descent for business visitors to stay? We may have multiple visitors on a regular basis.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing border & safety staying in Agua Prieta, MX??

It's better to start a new post for such information. There are really no nice hotels in Douglas. The historic Gadsden Hotel is kind of "tired." The best there is likely the Motel 6.

Arizona
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing border & safety staying in Agua Prieta, MX??

BillVA-

There is a Best Western currently under construction (open early 09)that will probably be the best hotel Douglas has to offer.

california
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing border & safety staying in Agua Prieta, MX??

What about drug related violence? I've been reading some news about the violence increasing along the border and in Agua Prieta

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing border & safety staying in Agua Prieta, MX??

I live in Tucson and go to Mexico frequently. There is not violence every day. It is sporadic. In fact it's been quiet for a long time. But I don't know of anything in AP worth going there and taking the risk.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
37 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing border & safety staying in Agua Prieta, MX??

Hey there people, I used to live in Douglas. Not much going on in that town at all. I would advice to stay the night at the six motel (after I moved away I have stayed there many times). There is really nothing in Agua Prieta to see. I also lived in Nogales, and there is a little more to do there but in the sense of bars and nightclubs. If i was going to cross the border I would do so via Nogales and make the haul down to Guaymas or San Carlos for some Warm Beaches and Sun! If you need details shoot me email.

8. Re: Crossing border & safety staying in Agua Prieta, MX??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 14:50