We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

Husband and I are planning a trip to Baja late February. We were looking to Cabo first but the big resorts aren’t that appealing to us. We started looking into Todos Santos and renting through Airbnb or vrbo. I’m curious to hear thoughts from recent travelers to Todos Santos. Any suggestions? Any concerns about travel from airport in San Jose del Cabo or between TS and La Paz? Recommendations on rental car companies? Any concerns about safety in Todos Santos? Any safety concerns about being in the beach at night?

Thank you for your time!

— Patty

13 replies to this topic
K Y
West Bend, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
1. Re: Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

I haven't been to Todos Santos yet...going in a few days but I can share some info I've gained by reading since I've booked my flight.

Essentially, you can't swim safely at the beaches outside of Todos Santos, so plan to take a day trip to La Paz to swim with the whale sharks/sea lions, OR do the "Glamping" option on the island by La Paz for a few nights in addition to staying in Todos Santos. (see Todos Santos Eco Adventure.)

I am renting from a hotel in Todos Santos and they warned DO NOT drive after dark. For decades, I always rented cars in Mexico but given the recent weirdness on the highways, I decided to go by bus from SJD airport to Todos Santos using ecobajatours.com. It's only 1278 Pesos for TWO people round-trip.You can book online. I'll be taking day trips from tour guides and taxis instead of dealing with the insurance and potential highway theft issues.

There seem to be a LOT of hotels and b&b's in TD and by the beach. I think the reason people don't stay at the beach this time of year is PROBABLY because the fog hangs around a long time in the morning but if you get a mile offshore, it's not so cold and damp. So you might want to stay in town, unless you have a car, then you can just jump in your car and get off shore.

El Pescadero, Mexico
Level Contributor
312 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

Hmmm, I live 6 miles south of TS and I have no idea what you are saying about weirdness on the highways. I don't enjoy driving the road from CSL to Pescadero at night, but it's 4 lanes and just like a US freeway except for the grazing animals from time to time.

Highway theft issues?

If you want to go to a swim-able beach, Cerritos is the closest one. Also I think the marine layer happens far more frequently in the summer. I don't recall it being oppressive in Oct, Nov, Dec this past year.

1 post
3. Re: Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

We're staying at Cerritos Beach now, been here for one week and love it. Its about 15 to 20 minutes south of Todos Santos. Cerritos is a great beach to learn to surf or just relax. Few pedlars and the ones that are here are courteous and friendly. There are a few bars and places to eat nearby. The highway is good but I would avoid driving after dark. We've seen one dead cow and one donkey since we got here. Yesterday we drove to La Paz saw lots of cows grazing beside the highway. The side roads aren't marked well and are very rough, another reason to get here before dark! We rented a car from BBB car rental. They were helpful and very good to deal with.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

Just returned from week in TS. For years stayed in cabo but has grown too much over the last 15+ years.....have enjoyed Pescadero and TS since staying there over 20 times Inlast 8 years. Love Rancho Pescadero and our most recent stay at San Cristobal. Driving is easy and beautiful from airport since new highway which cuts over the peninsula - no need to go thru Cabo. Have done the drive many times. Would not make this drive at night only because of free range cattle and not lit. We drive from dinners inTS back to our hotel no problem or worries. We rent our cars from Dominic as great service and dependable cars. I think a plus to have own car while in this area. We have always felt safe here. Since we stay at hotels beach always has felt safe....can't comment on safety when renting a home.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
476 posts
156 reviews
5. Re: Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

Getting to Todos Santos from the airport on the new tollroad is quite easy. Plan on at least 1 hr drive time. We don't think there are any real safety concerns with Todos Santos at this time. If you want to really relax and feel totally safe, try the Rancho Pescadero - you will have no problems on their beach at night.

Missouri City, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

We are coming to Cabo in early May. If we take day trip to TS, where can we go to visit with expats and talk about moving there? Thanks

Wayland...
Level Contributor
497 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

When you get to Todos Santos you'll find more than a few expats at restaurants, gift shops, etc. If you're serious about moving there, I'd contact a realtor. Private message me if you'd like a recommendation.

Another good resource is the Baja Nomad online forum, at http://forums.bajanomad.com/. If you're on Facebook, the "Todos Santos Newsfeed" lists local happenings within the expat community, and "Talk Baja" covers diverse topics all along the peninsula.

Alameda, CA
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
8. Re: Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

Hi J&KBoulder - I read your comments about Todos Santos. We are planning a trip to the area next March, and was thinking of splitting our trip partly on the west coast and partly in La Paz. We are going back and forth between Hotel San Cristobal and Rancho Pescadero, and I see that you have stayed at both. Can you tell if if you liked one better than the other, and if so, why. They both look really nice. I love having an ocean view from my room and a nice beach on the hotel premises, but not sure if one of these hotels is better than the other for that. Thanks in advance for your help.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

Well it is an easy decision this time as Rancho Pescadero closed July 1 for a big remodel/expansion until December2019/Jan. 2020. At San Cristobal I would recommend booking a King Delux upstairs room - I like 40 and 45 as on the ends and has an outside shower too!

Alameda, CA
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
10. Re: Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas

Well that makes the decision easy! Thanks for the room tips. Not sure I can request a certain room, but I'll give it a try. What are the "must see/must do" things near Todos Santos? Trying to figure out how many days to stay there and how many days to stay in La Paz, or nearby. Thanks for the help.

Reply to: Todos Santos vs Cabo San Lucas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Todos Santos