We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to TJ renting Apartment

las vegas
4 posts
Save Topic
Moving to TJ renting Apartment

Hi I am planing to move to Tijuana in the beginning of Jan 2008, but I am having a hard time finding an apartment. Can anyone please help me! I don't know where to rent, what is a good price for studio or 1BR. Any advice will help thank you!!!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to TJ renting Apartment

Because there are quite a few areas in Tijuana where you simply don't want to rent, I suggest you look a bit farther south and look at Playas de Tijuana. Look on vacation rental sites: www.vrbo.com; www.A1vacations.com; etc. Most of the owners are looking at short term rentals, but this is low season. I suspect many would be open to a longer term rental and that would give you a chance to learn more about the Playas and Tijuana itself before making a long term rental commitment.

las vegas
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to TJ renting Apartment

Thank you for the quick response, but the vacation rentals are way over my budget and I don't have any option, whether I like it or not I have to move there. I guess I will have to take your word for it and go for what you recommend. Do you know a web site with ads for long term contract. And from what I understand there is over 50000 Americans that live there, do most of them live in Playas?

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to TJ renting Apartment

Many live in the Rosarito area, where we live. Contact a reputable realtor and discuss rentals. I'm not recommending the following realtors, but here are some names to at least start the process:

www.baja4U.com

www.rosaritobeach.net/UrreaRealty/Map_new.htm

http://www.bajasuncoastrealty.com

http://www.bajacaliforniarealty.net

www.rosaritobeach.net/marcor/homepage.htm

http://www.mexicosalesrentals.com

http://bajamls.com

baja-relocation.com/rosarito_real_estate_lin…

I think you'll be able to find some help with one of the local realtors. These are all Rosarito Beach realtors, but they will have listings in the playas also, and they will be able to direct you to someone in Tijuana if they don't have listings there.

I know the vacation rentals are too high for a long term rental. My point was that this is low season. Many owners would take a lot less, really a lot less, for Jan/Feb at least, and that would give you some time to get your bearings.

las vegas
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to TJ renting Apartment

If you don't mind answering do you live in Rosarito? And another question I have is what is a reasonable price for 1BR apartment or studio. I don't need to live in luxury my only concern is security, what is your advice on that. Also how about bills how much are they per month? I am planing on living there for four days out the week and then driving back to the US, do I need to apply for a visa or? It would be very helpful if you answer those questions, thank you so much for your help!

Laguna Woods,Ca
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to TJ renting Apartment

I can turn you onto a gal who has cute studios and one bedrooms, but I don't know your budget. These are in Rosarito, a little south of the town.

If this would work for you, let me know.

These places are furnished, and are security all around, and guards too.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to TJ renting Apartment

I do live in Rosarito Beach 7 mts, or more, of the year.

Check with Alabasterwings. She's been looking at apartments and houses down here recently and has a good handle on what's currently available and what prices are.

Visa: You can get by without one, I suppose, if you are going back to the U.S. every 4 days. However, without a visa, you don't have any legal rights in Mexico; you are an illegal. Mexico does not tolerate illegals as well as some other countries I could name. A yearly visa is called an FM3; you can get it at the Mexican consulate in San Diego (it's about $200.00). You can get a tourist visa for 6 mts. at the border---MUCH, much cheaper, but I don't know how much. If it were me, I'd feel more comfortable in Mexico with a visa saying I had a right to be there.

las vegas
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to TJ renting Apartment

About my budget, it is very limited I can't give you a straight answer for it because I don't know what other expenses will come up. Right now I am trying to collect information about rent, monthly bills, car insurance, visa fees and all that. allabsterwingz if you direct me to your friend it would be nice. If you can answer any of my questions it would be great. What can I approximately expect on any of the above topics (rent.....$$$), judged from your personal experience. How about car insurance how does that work? Can I drive around with US registration? Anything else that I will have to consider when I move? Thank you so much for your help!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to TJ renting Apartment

You can drive with U.S. registration and U.S. insurance--provided you have a U.S. address (a real one, not a post office box) you can give for the U.S. insurance.

If you get Mexican car insurance, you will find that the limits for damages they will pay if you drive in the U.S. and have an accident in the U.S., are simply not adequate to handle U.S. law suits. My recomendation is to keep the U.S. insurance and get a part time policy for Mexico--if, and only if, you actually have a U.S. address which you use a substantial part of the time.

There are many companies that will sell you a yearly Mexican policy, good as many days as you are in Mexico, for around $200.00 a year. However, those policies specifically state that they are not intended for those who live full time in Mexico, so they, too, are dependent on your having a legitimate U.S. address.

You can keep your car licensed (and insured) in any state you want. A few (North Dakota is one) don't even require you to be a resident to license the car there. You simply call their motor vehicle division and tell them you live elsewhere, but would like to register the vehicle in North Dakota. No problem. I don't know about getting car insurance in North Dakota though. Anyway, I'd advise keeping a U.S. license and insurance if possible.

It is also possible (at least in California) to "insure your driver's license," and that way any car you drive carries your insurance on it. I don't know the particulars of that kind of insurance, but a number of people here have it.

No matter what, you will need to have Mexican 3rd party liability insurance (for damage you do to others or their property) before you drive one foot into Mexico. Again, there are many places that will sell you a yearly policy with 3rd party liability only. Some state that their policy is not for those who live in Mexico full time, but any insurance agent in Tijuana or Rosarito can sell you a liability only policy. Until you have your car insured for 3rd party liability with a yearly policy, you ABSOLUTELY MUST buy a 3rd party liability policy from someone--one of those little stands at the border will do. If there is any kind of accident, whether or not it's your fault, that's the first thing the police want: the 3rd party liability policy. If you don't have it, you go directly to jail--and you remain in jail until they are satisfied you have the ability to pay for all of the damage you may/may not have caused. It doesn't matter that the case hasn't gone to court yet and it may not even be your fault. Do not drive in Mexico at all without having a 3rd party liability policy. At the border, it's about $10.00 a day. Yearly, it's less than $100.00, maybe significantly less.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to TJ renting Apartment

Visa Fees: Google Mexico + visa and you'll get all the correct information about visas and what they cost. A 6 mts. tourist visa lets you be in Mexico the entire 6 mts. if you want, and you just get a new one in 6 mts----I think. (We have FM3's).

10. Re: Moving to TJ renting Apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 20:49