We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you swim at the beaches?

Greenwich, CT
1 post
Save Topic
Can you swim at the beaches?

I've been looking into places to stay in Mexico (we've never been there) and noticed one or two places that claim they have the "only safe swimming beach in Los Cabos." What does that mean? Why isn't it safe to swim there?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
23,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you swim at the beaches?

For the most part, swimming on the Pacific can be dangerous. There are undertows, rip tides, and rogue waves. The Sea of Cortez has better choices, but still not all beaches are swimming beaches. Often the drop off is quite near the shoreline, and the water can get quite tricky. Also, as the hurricanes hit occasionally, the beaches are changed. Most of the large hotels have great pools and you can walk to a swimming beach from some of them. If you don't need a swimming beach, yet would like to walk the sand and not have vendors bothering you, look into Solmar/Playa Grande/Finisterra area. A short walk to town, great sunset watching-lovely places!

CALGARY,AB
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you swim at the beaches?

Hows the beach in front of the New Riu Palace as I will be down there last week of December ?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
23,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you swim at the beaches?

I am not sure if it is a swimming beach or not, but will be happy to check for you. Or, call your travel agent. They have access to that info., and can book it for you. Right now they have been offering a $68/person rate, I believe is good through most of Dec.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
23,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you swim at the beaches?

I check the Riu and it is on a swimming beach.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
23,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you swim at the beaches?

The Melia San Lucas, the Villa del Palmar and the Pueblo Bonito Rose are also on swimming beaches. You will most likely have vendors on those beaches, so learn how to nicely say "No Gracias".........

CALGARY,AB
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you swim at the beaches?

thanks katd...Canada is coming !!!!!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
23,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you swim at the beaches?

Hey! Good for you! Hope you love the area as much as I do! When are you going to be there, and did you decide where to stay?

KD

CALGARY,AB
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you swim at the beaches?

Be down there from dec 27th - Jan 3rd. Staying the the Riu Palace..hows the riu looking !!!!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
23,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you swim at the beaches?

We head down to Playa Grande on 04Dec. I will post what info I pick up on the new Riu when we get home! It sure looks good in the ads! Have a grand holiday!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
23,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you swim at the beaches?

Soes anyone ever look back on previous posts and realize that they were either typing too fast or loosing it? I have certainly created some odd words...........