We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel to Ensenada?

Dublin, Ireland
13 posts
Save Topic
Safe to travel to Ensenada?

Hi,

Myself and a friend (both female) are planning to travel to Ensenada from San Diego. We're going to get the trolley to the border and after walking across we'll get an ABC bus down.

Our one concern is how safe we'll be. We've been hearing lots of warnings about crime in the border areas.

Any advice on how safe it is would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel to Ensenada?

If you search this forum, you'll find a lot of threads on safety, and they will, I think, reassure you. It's safe to be in Rosarito/Ensenada/Tijuana provided you are not involved in any way with drugs and don't do things that wouldn't be smart in the U.S. either: wander around drunk, alone, in "bad parts" of town in the small hours of the morning. We live in Rosarito; neither I nor my friends is concerned about our safety. We all drive to San Diego and back several times a week; obviously, we go through Tijuana (in fact, we're going today as is one of my best friends here--we're not caravaning; we just both happen to be crossing the border this morning). It's not a problem. If we were frightened and concerned about our safety, we'd be at our home in the U.S., not our home in Rosarito.

Edited: 16 August 2010, 20:19
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel to Ensenada?

I agree with PStreet1 100%.

My husband and I live in Los Angeles and travel to Ensenada about 6 times a year. About twice a year my girlfriends and I go for the weekend, driving our own vehicles. It is less expensive to enjoy a 'girls weekend' in Ensenada as the hotels and spa services are much less expensive...yet the same quality as some of the nicest hotels in Santa Monica.

We've been traveling to Ensenada for over 17 years now, without one incident. Correction...while camping, at San Miguel about 15 years ago, our flip-flops were taken from outside our tent, although recovered in less than 24 hours.

For several years, it was just my bf and I (both female) that would spend our weekends in Baja. Although, with that being said, we don't stay out late, we don't do drugs and we stay out of the 'bad' parts of town, just as we would in LA... I think in many ways, it is safer than Los Angeles.

Ensenada is a great city. If you enjoy wine, be sure to hire a car and go wine tasting...it's better than many of the wine made in CA.

Adios!

3. Re: Safe to travel to Ensenada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 11:47