We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ensenada Port Day

4 posts
Save Topic
Ensenada Port Day

Going on the Carnival Baja California cruise in June. I’ve been before, but husband hasn’t. I’ve been to la bufadora, and definitely want to do something different. We don’t drink, so wineries are out (I see a lot of recommendations for that). Wondering what we should do for our port day! We like adventures. But I also like exploring new places, too. I’ve seen posts about a zip line/outdoor park that looks kind of cool (I think las cañadas) So here are my questions:

1. Overall recommendations for what we should do in Ensenada

2. How do you take an Uber in Mexico if you have no cell service (roaming)? I’ve seen a lot of recommendations for Uber to see las Cañada’s... but how do you get a ride back if you can’t find any free WiFi?

3. Valle De Guadalupe... since we don’t drink, would it even be fun? I do love delicious food...

Basically, I would love some feedback on what people enjoy most for a cruise port day. Something that can be done in that time frame. And recommendations for how to get around. And where to buy tickets. Early? There? Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Ensenada
Ensenada
Ensenada Municipality, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Valle de Guadalupe
Valle de Guadalupe
3 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ensenada Port Day

Hello,

Ensenada is a fun port town and even more fun when you do a little research before you go.

1. If you enjoy cheese, La Cava De Marcelo / The Cheese Cave has an intimate tour and cheese tasting https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

It's a 45 minute drive out of town, but in my opinion, very interesting, relaxing and a great place to have lunch (amazingly fresh beef!).

2. Without data on your phone it would not be possible to use your Uber app in Ensenada. Another option, which cruisers have done for ages, is to exit the ship and go talk to one of the taxi drivers (right outside the port), agree on a price for say 3 hours if you are going to Valle de Guadalupe or La Cava de Marcelo. I think a fair price would be $70usd + buy the driver lunch if you eat lunch.

3. YES! If you enjoy Farm to Table Cuisine and/or fresh seafood, Valle De Guadalupe has several amazing restaurants to choose from.

You could arrange these options once you arrive, but if you decide to try the cheese cave you may want to email them a few days in advance and let them know you are coming so they can have an English speaking guide for you.

You might consider contacting your cell phone provider to see what the cost would be to add data and phone while you are in Mexico. Many now have it added to the plan for free or minimal cost.

Have a beautiful trip!

Mentioned in this post
Ensenada
Ensenada
La Cava de Marcelo
La Cava de Marcelo
42 Reviews
Ensenada, Mexico
Valle de Guadalupe
Valle de Guadalupe
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ensenada Port Day

There are cheesemongers, olive oil producers, and more amazing restaurants than you can shake a stick at in the Valle de Guadalupe, and you don't have to drink a single drop of wine.

Mentioned in this post
Valle de Guadalupe
Valle de Guadalupe
San Diego...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ensenada Port Day

If you don't want to deal with taxis/Ubers there is a lot of delicious food within walking distance of the ship

The seafood tostado cart La Guerrerense gets a lot of acclaim (Bourdain sings its praises) but there are a lot of other places worth a stop. Muelle 3 (opens at 12:00) or Boules (opens at 2:00) are excellent lunch spots.

The fish market is also very close. You can buy a fish there and have one of the adjacent stands cook it for you.

And, if seafood isn't your thing there are plenty of taco stands nearby.

Mentioned in this post
La Guerrerense
La Guerrerense
647 Reviews
Ensenada, Mexico
Reply to: Ensenada Port Day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted