We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Ensenada safe?

Coachella...
4 posts
Save Topic
Is Ensenada safe?

I am visiting Ensenada in August and have never been to Mexico. I've gotten mixed responses about my trip, many saying it's safe just be cautious and others being close minded. Can I please get some feedback to calm any nerves I may have? I would like to enjoy my vacation.

35 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Ensenada safe?

Of course it is safe, unless you go into Ensenada bars, swinging your fists at the locals and screaming profanities, there is little that can go wrong. Americans are sich a frightened flock.

The normal precautions will suffice.

Coachella...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Ensenada safe?

Thank you

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Ensenada safe?

LOL Dynamisto, never a good idea to swing fists in bars.

Ianieslala, I feel safer in Ensenada than I do in Los Angeles.

I've been driving to Baja for 20 years, my girlfriends and I used to camp on the beach. Embarrassed to admit, that my Spanish is minimal at best. I'm a gringo in every sense of the word, I follow the laws and in all these trips we have never had an incident that made me feel unsafe.

My husband and I are driving to Ensenada next week. We will be stopping in Valle de Guadalupe, just East of Ensenada for wine tasting and lunch - the wine and farm-to-table gastronomy are mind blowing.

Mexican hospitality is leaps and bounds above any we have found in the world.

Take precautions as you would in any tourist area in the US i.e. I like to use a cross body purse and my husband usually places his wallet in his front pocket when we are in town/in crowds. Most importantly have a fabulous time in beautiful Ensenada!

Coachella...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Ensenada safe?

That's wonderful to hear. I will be staying right next to the valle de Guadalupe as well and am looking forward to checking it out. Thank you :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Ensenada safe?

You are in for a real treat! A lot of folks arrive in Ensenada via cruise for just the afternoon and only see Papas and Beer. You, however are going to see and taste the REAL beauty! We've traveled Sonoma, Napa, Temecula, even Malibu and Grand Junction for wine tasting and nothing comes close to the excellent wine and food in Valle de Guadalupe.

Have a great time!!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Ensenada safe?

You will fall in love with Ensenada and the Valle de Guadalupe and go back and tell your closed-minded friends and family about what a great time you had.

Wear your purse across your body and don't count money in public. Just like any city anywhere in the world. The Valle especially is rural and community-minded. You will find that Mexicans are much more willing to help strangers and much (MUCH) more tolerant of people who can't speak their language than we are on this side of the border.

One hint: when you need to speak to someone, begin with "buenos días" (before noon), "buenas tardes" (after noon but before dark), or "buenas noches" (after dark). Even if you can't say another thing in Spanish, it'll break the ice and show you're interested in being polite. "Gracias" (thank you) and "con permiso" (excuse me, need to get by) are also great ways to see the best side of Mexican hospitality. In the U.S. we tend to just launch into conversations... not so much in Mexico.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Ensenada safe?

travellerCA, these are my thoughts exactly (you put them into words, beautifully!)

A part of me wishes the close-minded Americans would continue to fear Mexico - I really enjoy things the way they are and if/when the secret gets out...it will change.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Ensenada safe?

I was in Ensenada in May and I felt as safe as anywhere in the US. We went to the lower class area of town, where we enjoyed amazing authentic food and extremely warm & friendly people. We went to the Malecon and 1st street area (Av Adolfo López Mateos) where we ate great food, purchased some gorgeous silver jewelry, and took a $2 boat ride around the bay. We also visited La Bufadora on a weekday when there was no one there but Mexicans. We were always comfortable and safe. It was a fabulous visit!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Ensenada safe?

Great report, Roxanna.

Ensenada, Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Ensenada safe?

ENSENADA IS SAFE!!! Having moved from Palm Desert over 9 years ago to Ensenada... I feel safer here than I did in Palm Desert! Ensenada is a large city but if you conduct yourself as you would in your hometown, or any large city, you should be very safe. I love it here and have never had an issue in all the years I have been living in Ensenada...

Reply to: Is Ensenada safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted