We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A "little" adventure in border of Mexico

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
A "little" adventure in border of Mexico

Dear all TA experts and fans,

Despite many factors, we are planning a three day trip to Mexico from San Diego. We are two adults with teens. It was over 25 years ago when we-then-single people visited Tijuana and others.

The following is our preliminary agenda for our trip right before July 4th holiday.

Thursday night: arriving San Diego via Amtrak

Friday: rent a car (any advice where, and which car rental co?) to drive down to Tijuna, spend a few hours there before driving to Rosarito for the night. (any recommendation for Rosarito hotel or b&b?)

Saturday: Spend the morning in Rosarito and drive to Tecate for the night.

Sunday: Spend a few hours in Tecate (any recommendations for things to do? there's not much discussions here about Tecate) before driving back to San Diego.

*We are interested in knowing if leaving US for Tijuna via car would be shorter wait.

*Is this trip "safe" enough for our mexico 101 travelers, especially driving further deep into the country?

* Is coming back from border by Tecate easy with shorter wait? That would be a Sunday when we return.

Alternativly, we can just take a day tour walking through the border to Tijuana. And, rent a car for one day to drive to Tecate.

Your thoughts are so much appreciated!!!

3 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: A "little" adventure in border of Mexico

Honestly tijuana is more modernize from 25 years ago.. I would put this post in the tijuana forum... There is not much to do un tecate... For your trip you do not need to rent a car because your not there for that long.. Rosarito is only 15 to 30 min from tijuana depending on traffic..

What i would do is stay in a nice hotel tijuana and if want to be by the tourist area or like the us shopping area...

Airbnb can be differnt in Tijuana and rosarito usually the host is there staying with you ..

I would get a hotel in tijuana and if you wanted to visit rosarito just uber or cab down there very cheap...well uber is very cheap. Be cheaper than renting a car.. Itd like 12 to 17 dollars on the avg to rosarito with uber maybe little higher but not that much..

If you get a hotel for 2 or 3 nights that you might be able to visit Ensenada too.. I would just skip tecate..but i would make my hotel base in tijuana and you can visit stuff from there without haveing to move hotels..

Werw you stay and what kind of hotel you are looking for.. But this are the hotels that are popular with american families...hotel puebla amigo,ticuan,hyatt,marriot,fairfield inn hotel palicio azteca .hotel lucerna and hoilday inn and the grand hotel.. There is a lot more hotels but i usually see more american family or familys in general on these hotels

The prices are very cheap compare to the us and a lot of them are better thsn the us counter parts..

But like i said i would put this on the tijuana forum thread you will get more responses

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: A "little" adventure in border of Mexico

Thank you Adam. One of the reasons why we thought we'll visit Tecate is to make easier back entry when returning to the US via car. But we will post into the Tijuana forum..that sounds like a great idea. Thanks again.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: A "little" adventure in border of Mexico

I would just rent a car on the us side when your ready to leave

Reply to: A "little" adventure in border of Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted