We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter out of town..

Silkeborg
5 posts
Scooter out of town..

Hi there..

We have talked about retning a couple of scooters and going inland. Have done this before in other places with great succes. We sometimes get lucy to meet the locels in a different way or just find a beatiful place that youwouldent find otherwise. Anyone ever tried that or have any hints or pointers for us. We will be in Ao Nang from 9 dec until 14 dec. After that we are going to Krabi.

Thanks

Jan

NSW
Level Contributor
158 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Scooter out of town..

Other then the obvious safety suggestions- wear a helmet, check your travel insurance cover for scooters, hire off reputable people to avoid scams, I would also suggest keeping the riding in day light hours. I have heard of people getting mugged at night time, although I think the police have for a hold on this I still wouldn't risk it. Couldn't suggest where to go, hopefully others will help, but it's a beautiful area with plenty to see :)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,274 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Scooter out of town..

I'm a little confused as Ao Nang is in Krabi, so when you say you are going to Ao Nang and then Krabi after where do you mean in Krabi?

NSW
Level Contributor
158 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Scooter out of town..

ao nang is a small town in the krabi provence. Krabi town itself is about 20 minutes away from the town of ao nang.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,274 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: Scooter out of town..

I realise where Krabi Town is and have been there myself, but there's not much there for tourists although certainly worth a day trip or a visit to the night market.

NSW
Level Contributor
158 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Scooter out of town..

I agree there is not much to see and do in krabi town itself, even the night markets aren't that crash hot! Lol

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,274 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Scooter out of town..

Just thought I would direct the OP to this current thread about the dangers of scootering:

tripadvisor.com.au/…45666992

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,559 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Scooter out of town..

Actually I disagree about Krabi Town. It's a great little provincial town, very charming with plenty of cafés and good restaurants, a lot of interesting little shops, a stupendous walkway along the river where people fly kites in the evening, the night markets as mentioned, and some Thai-style night life. Certainly a lot more interesting than boring Ao Nang, which is just a tawdry tourist beach town.

As for trips you can make with your scooter, I would suggest

Sa Kaeo, a complex of eight fresh water ponds including the famous Emerald Pool Sra Morakot, 28 kilometers from town on the Krabi-Nai Sa highway (4034).

Then there's the Namtok Ron Khlong Thom, a waterfall in a shady forest surrounded by hot springs, not far from Sa Kaeo. You drive 5 kilometers from town to Amphoe Khlong Thom, then take Sukhaphiban 2 Road for another 12 kilometers.

Wat Tham Seua, a woodland temple outside Krabi Town, in a cave where a tiger was supposed to have lived.

The market in the town of Nua Klong, near the airport. A lovely little small-town farmers and fishermen market with delicious fresh products and a lot of life and colour.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,274 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Scooter out of town..

I agree that Krabi Town is probably worth an overnight visit, but the OP hasn't indicated how long they are going there for, if that is indeed where they are going. I love provincial and non touristy towns and agree that it is the best way to meet locals and see real Thai life.

Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Scooter out of town..

But you can go shopping in the big C...........:)

10. Re: Scooter out of town..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2013, 15:47