We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in krabi

Perth
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in krabi

Smart traveller has a travel warning of Extreme caution . I realise one should always be aware and use common sense is extreme caution warranted. I am planning a week there in June.Interested to read other travellers comments

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,334 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in krabi

Hi,

I can't imagine what they are suggesting you exercise "Extreme caution" about, did they give any clues?

I suspect they aren't so smart after all and have their geography completely wrong and think because it's southern Thailand it must also be affected by the events in the very far southern states of Yala etc. It isn't.

Krabi is an extremely safe destination, just the same as most of the rest of tourist Thailand

Cheers

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in krabi

There is no mention of Krabi:

smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/…Thailand

Having read the whole thing, they are warning travellers about just about anything and everything to cover themselves. I think something similar could be written about Australia or any other country.

Edited: 24 April 2012, 20:44
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in krabi

Krab? are you sure? Never heard of problems there.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in krabi

Krabi dangerous, in my opinion it is one of the least intimidating places in Thailand.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,695 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in krabi

I don't think the OP has looked any further than the first page fror Thailand which shows an overall assessment of "Exercise a High Degree of Caution" with its sub-text of "Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media about possible new safety or security risks" which is the second lowest level of advice and is pretty standard stuff.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,334 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in krabi

I rest my case... For a web site calling itself 'Smart Traveller' it's not so smart.

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in krabi

News to me after 9 years here!

Perth
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in krabi

Thanks for all replies.Over reaction from Australian government.

Northbridge in Perth is very extreme after 8.30

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,695 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in krabi

It's no different in the level of overall advice than the UK FCO advice but like that and other governmental websites it requires a traveller to be smart enough to read the advice thoroughly rather than just reacting to the "headline".

10. Re: Safety in krabi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:46