We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did you get rashes or get sick swimming off Ao Nang beach?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Did you get rashes or get sick swimming off Ao Nang beach?

We had heard there is a big raw human waste sewage problem the government is aware of and not doing anything about. What was your experience there?

7 replies to this topic
Goole, United...
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did you get rashes or get sick swimming off Ao Nang beach?

Hearsay is a wonderful thing, when the information is correct & truthful.

It can also be called Chinese whispers although i see from another post that there is a problem that has been reported.

I was on the seafront yesterday and people were in the sea..

Edited: 07 August 2018, 08:56
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did you get rashes or get sick swimming off Ao Nang beach?

This is not just gossip. The sewage problem is in the news there.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did you get rashes or get sick swimming off Ao Nang beach?

Since developed for tourist, it's always been, and will continue to be a problem. They don't seem to have, or care about any solution. https://goo.gl/8s779g

That's almost all of Thailand, not just Ao Nang, Krabi.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 16:20
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did you get rashes or get sick swimming off Ao Nang beach?

Since u are worried or bothered about it , why don't u skip Ao Nang(i made my decision on the 1st day & spent all my time on Ko Lanta's beautiful beaches instead)...

So so many beach destinations in Krabi Province alone.. choices ..

I didn't have sufficient time to swim & relax at all of Ko Lanta's various beaches ...

1 end of Long Beach feels different from the other end as well... didn't see any sewage issue(if there was then it's really not obvious enough)...

Likewise for Klong Dao & various beach stretches at Klong Nin...

I probably saw max. of 20 Chinese Free & Easy Travellers in a week's stay on Ko Lanta...

These are the English educated ones who can handle a proper English conversation. A lot of young university graduates ..

Not the noisy pushy Package Tour type i see in Bangkok..

So no sewage issues & no noisy Chinese Package Tour Groups on Ko Lanta.. for your reference ..

Cheers

Scooby

Edited: 07 August 2018, 16:45
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did you get rashes or get sick swimming off Ao Nang beach?

I am reading that the issue is not just in Ao Nang or Patong beaches...it is on every island. I can't seem to find one that does not have the problem.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did you get rashes or get sick swimming off Ao Nang beach?

2 mainland Gulf beaches that I usually recommend as an alternative to the popular, shiny tourist path.

Sam Roi Yot Beach (non Nat. Park, clean also) and Ao Manao, Prachuap Khiri Khan, on RTAF Wing 5 military base.

Part of the reason they are clean (bacterially) since at bases or nat. park, and not over developed, populated areas, so less waste water to dispose / dump in sea.

Few more listed here: ttrweekly.com/site/…

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Did you get rashes or get sick swimming off Ao Nang beach?

It does seem to be the case that national park islands (not sure about mainland destinations) still release sewage into the sea, despite being a national park and all. Surin islands is an example where it definitely happens and they admit it happens (though not raw sewage).

This water quality business is another thing people worry about too much. If you were swimming in it every day then maybe, but a few days and what will probably amount to a total of 1-2 hours swimming in dirty water is not going to harm anybody. How many parts per million will be sewage along the beach? You probably have more poo on your hands right now from the last time you scratched your bum.

Reply to: Did you get rashes or get sick swimming off Ao Nang beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ao Nang
Recent Conversations