We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to accomodation

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Airport to accomodation

Hi - we are arriving in Auckland airport on October 10th 2011 and need to get to Waiwera - can you suggest the best/cheapest way to get there? There is only 2 of us and will need to get back to Auckalnd city on the 25th too....

13 replies to this topic
Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
168 reviews
1. Re: Airport to accomodation

hi there perhaps a rental car might be your best option, there is possibly a bus to Waiwera maybe someone from Auckland may be better to help on that one,have you booked accomodation in Wairewa? being here for 14 days ar you planning on spending your whole trip in the same place?if you are planning to travel around a bit maybe a rental campervan could be an option

cheers john

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Airport to accomodation

Hi John

Thanks for your reply and so quick too! Yes, we have accommodation and are staying there for a little over 2 weeks and then we are in a hotel in Auckland for the remainder of our holiday. I did think about a rental car but are they very expensive do you know? I'm guessing that as it's RWC time it will be more expensive anyway...

Thanks again John

Andrea

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
168 reviews
3. Re: Airport to accomodation

hi andrea here are a couple of low cost car rental companies for you to check out,i have used rent a dent this year and there service was pretty good and reasonable prices too,dont be put off by the name the cars are a little older 1997 to 2002 i believe, but they are well maintained and still nice cars but not brand new as with the more expensive companies you may be right about the prices with the RWC but its worth looking at

www.rentadent.co.nz/

www.nzdcr.co.nz

www.jucy.co.nz

www.acerentalcars.co.nz

let me know how you get on or if i can help in anyway

cheers john

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Airport to accomodation

Hi John

Thanks for your message and the rent a dent sounds great! I'll check them all out and keep you updated...

Thanks again John

Rgds

Andrea

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Airport to accomodation

If you don't want to drive, you can get there by bus.

AIRPORT to AUCKLAND city - take the AIRBUS, www.airbus.co.nz

then from CITY to WAIWERA - www.intercity.co.nz

What are you going to be doing at Waiwera for 2 weeks though ??

You are fairly isolated there without a car (Waiwera is really just the hot pool resort, beach 7 a camping ground)

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Airport to accomodation

If you are staying in waiwera for 2 weeks, you really will need a car, its rather isolated and you will need to get to orewa to pick up supplies,dine out etc. the stagecoach buses run to and from waiwera daily however. I lived only a few mins away from waiwera for 20+ years, and theres some great places to travel to for example a beer at the puhoi pub, check out the matakana farmers market just out of warkworth, visit orewa beach and maybe further out to the peninsula, so investing in a cheap rental woould be the way to go.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Airport to accomodation

Hi Andychef and Homeiswherethe...

So sorry - I didn't know I had recent messages on here - I usually get an email to let me know but nothing this time....

We are going to be relaxing a lot of the time but will be in Auckland for the RWC matches and a bit of sight-seeing.

I've looked at car rental and I can't belive how expensive it is - even rent-a-dent! I guess that's because of the RWC.... I'm sure there are a couple of bars and a shop or two in Waiwera for those lazy days in? Yes? :)

I'll keep checking out car rental but I think it's just too expansive....

Keep your great tips and advice coming though - all hugely appreciated!

Andrea

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Airport to accomodation

Oooops that should read 'expensive'....

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
70 reviews
9. Re: Airport to accomodation

There is really nothing in Waiwera other than the thermal resort/ hot pools. _ the beach

The hot pools have a cafe and show movies.....

You will be very bored if you have to spend a lot of time actually in Waiwera

How much are you being quoted for rental cars ?? - it will definitely be more expensive than normal due to high demand over the RWC, and some companies will already be sold out, but I would guess you could still be getting a budget car for about $50 per day.....

Can give you suggestions of where to try if you want....

Without a car staying in Waiwera will basically be a bit frustrating

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
70 reviews
10. Re: Airport to accomodation

Just had a quick look at APEX car rentals for an example and they have cars available for that period starting from $43 per day, which is as cheap as you will get during that period....

http://www.apexrentals.co.nz/cars.aspx

Reply to: Airport to accomodation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waiwera
Recent Conversations