We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skeezix in Nakhon Phanom

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Skeezix in Nakhon Phanom

Hi All,

Had a good trip to Nakhon Phanom this morning - hired a driver (Thai) and we left Nong Khai about 8 am and arrived here around 1pm... Roads were pretty good, not much construction and very little traffic. Took Rte 212 along the Mekong road around and down to this town... pretty dry out here now. Trees looking pretty parched but didn't see any evidence of burning. Throughout the whole trip so far, my Asthma and other lung things have been fine and that is a huge relief... I thought I might have to make a pit stop in Hua Hin if the smoke was really bad in any of the towns in the northeast... so far, so good!

By the way,on the road to Nong Khai from Chiang Khan, stopped at Wat Hin Maak Peng - set on a rock overlooking the Mekong River, and was a very peaceful and interesting site. Saw the wax replica of the monk who first settled at this place; very lifelike!

Today, as we travelled along, stopped at Wat Ahong Sili Wad - very dramatic black rocks on the site - look to me like volcanic rock and it is the place where the Mekong turns on itself - very interesting to see, but the water level being quite low, it was not that dramatic.. It's known as the "Naval of the Maekong".... about halfway between Pak Khet and Nong Khai.

I have checked into a hotel here where the staff speaks no English unfortunately, so I'm back into Charades again.... but I don't expect them to speak English, this is there country! I get by, but it is a little frustrating sometimes.

Will go and see Nakhon Phanom That Phra Wat tomorrow morning and probably spend several hours there.... I have youtubed it several months ago, and it looks exquisite. When I was doing research on this area and saw the pictures, I knew I wanted to come here, and here I am! I am so much looking forward to spending time there tomorrow...

After I checked in here at the hotel and got myself settled, I flagged a tuktuk and went to TescoLotus where there was a currency exchange, and exchanged some currency. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of interest right around this hotel, but there is a nice Promenade that is very long, and the hotel is located right beside the Mekong River so a wonderful view, except that there are mudflats showing at the moment, as the water level is low. Hope to have a good sunset...

Saw many beautiful wats and temples on the way into town - at least one in every block for about 4-5 blocks and lovely.... Each one slightly different and maintained by the Thai people living in that area....

Have seen a bit of the town, and will go out tonight and see some more, and find a local restaurant and have some great Isan food! I will bring my mini fire extinguisher (mouth-size)... in case of fire!

Chow for now...

7 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,747 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Skeezix in Nakhon Phanom

Hi Skeezix,

Glad to hear you're safe and well and enjoying your time. You've definitely covered some serious miles. Thanks for the updates.

Cheers.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 16:04
Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
2. Re: Skeezix in Nakhon Phanom

Another fabulous update, going off the typical tourist route will mean less english speaking people but what a wonderful adventure.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Skeezix in Nakhon Phanom

Hi fresh_prince and Chrella - yes being in a place where no English is spoken is quite challenging! But I find the Thais feel as helpless as I do when I try to communicate with them, as they too want to communicate with me! lol...

Had a great shower at the hotel - first one in a couple of long travel days... good to get all the repeated doses of deet off me! Hate putting it on my skin, but it really seems to work - using "Off" 15% which was all I could find when I first arrived in Thailand, and it's been working great.

Had some problems with food from a food cart in Loei, (fried chicken that looked fine), but 1/2 hr later I realized I'd eaten something my body didn't like. But I got over that pretty quickly. Maybe it was the skin that had the bacteria, as the actual chicken meat tasted fine... Go figure. I'm alright now; didn't make me sick, thank goodness. I don't have time for that! lol.... Just have to make sure I get enough fruit to balance out the local rice and street food I'm eating...

It's hard to believe but tomorrow night I'm flying to Bangkok! That's my last travel place and I'll be there for about 3 1/2 days and then fly to Seoul, 12 hr layover, fly to Vancouver...

I'm sure I won't ever forget this trip.... quite a few challenges but really an ongoing adventure, every place I've been, and that is what I wanted.... I have met some really great people, Thais and travellers, and seen wonderful places and heard lovely Thai music, and had my spirit moved many times... and it's not over yet!

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Skeezix in Nakhon Phanom

Hi Skeezix

Again another wonderful updates. Safe trip and take care :)

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,484 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Skeezix in Nakhon Phanom

Hi Skeezix,

Thanks for the feedback, good to see you are staying healthy. Enjoy Bangkok and do have a beer for me !

Cheers, Andy.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Skeezix in Nakhon Phanom

Nice to hear your having a good time. Stay safe and perhaps steer clear of the fried chicken, you don't want the runs on the plane home.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Skeezix in Nakhon Phanom

Hi Andy,

Can you believe all this after all the time I spent planning?! and yes, I'll have an ice-cold one for you when I get to Bangkok!

Am just about to have breakfast and then out to travel about 50 k's south to see the Wat Prathat Phanom. Will post later about that.

Cheers!

Reply to: Skeezix in Nakhon Phanom
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nakhon Phanom