We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR "Wat Phu Tok" (Ban Tong)

Nan Province...
Level Contributor
541 posts
338 reviews
JBR "Wat Phu Tok" (Ban Tong)

We did visit the "Wat Phu Tok" in the most north-eastern province of Thailand. We had stayed overnight in Bueng Kan (along the Mekong) what is a very nice place to stay.

Early in the morning we took a 40km ride to the temple. Although the temple iself is actually on the foot of the mountain, the attraction of this temple is the way the meditation places are build all along a more as 100m high solitary mountain.

It has 7 levels and until level 4 it are just step steps all the way up, then at level 5 the footpaths begin to go around the mountains and the end of level 5 en 6 are wooden footpaths hanging on the mountain.

Level 7 is the jungle of the top of the mountain with a cliff on the west side.

Advice :

1 Go very early in the morning (be there at 7:00)

2 Take good walking shoes

3 Take a bottle of water with you

4 Be careful where you walk

6 Think about safety when walking

It took me about 90min to get to level 7 and about 30min to go down. Then another 30min to get to life again.

A wonderful and special place to visit as also the all area with Phu Wua and the lakes around it are beautiful.

Chang Noi

3 replies to this topic
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
1. Re: JBR "Wat Phu Tok" (Ban Tong)

Glad you enjoyed the trip and the climb. I have done it many times as it's my wife's home town.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
2. Re: JBR "Wat Phu Tok" (Ban Tong)

Hope next time you can visit Wat Phanom That which is the oldest, and one of the most beautiful Buddhist temples in Thailand, in Phanom That town about 30km south of Nakhon Phanom town. Bueng Kan is Thailand's newest province!

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
455 reviews
3. Re: JBR "Wat Phu Tok" (Ban Tong)

Sounds fantastic, I agree with bbtony, Wat Phra That Phanom is absolutely beautiful, an absolute highlight for us:)

Cathy

Reply to: JBR "Wat Phu Tok" (Ban Tong)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nakhon Phanom