We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer with dogs

Paducah, KY
Level Contributor
57 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
First timer with dogs

We are contemplating a trip down to the area in a few weeks because we have read this is one of the most dog friendly places there is. Have only stayed in Seagrove, Seaside, Destin etc. but never brought our fur babies with us - two Jack Russells, both under 20 pounds.

Trying to figure out exactly what is the best area to stay in that is dog friendly and any tips or hints others may have about taking a long car trip with their dogs. I'm on the fence whether or not to do this trip but I keep thinking about them playing on the beach and that makes me happy.

6 replies to this topic
Cape San Blas...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer with dogs

Cape San Blas is very dog friendly, as our most of their rental properties. Dogs are allowed on the beach, leashed, at any time. Many people visit our area just because they can bring their dogs. Our furry friends love the beach too!

While you're there, visit Scallop RePUBlic, a new craft beer and wine bar on the Cape. They have music 7 nights a week, and are pet friendly, underneath the place.

Texas
Level Contributor
120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer with dogs

We've taken our dog the past three Octobers to the 30A area of Florida. We drive from Texas and she's always done fine during the drive (we take two days to get there). We have an SUV and lay the whole back area down flat and try to keep as much of it open as possible while still stowing the luggage. I have collapsible water and food bowls that ride with her back there. I usually buy a some chew flip and a new toy for the drive.

We enjoyed having her with us in the 30A area because there are so many footpaths, walks, etc. that she could go on with us. And we took her to the dog beach in Panama City and she loved it. So I read that Cape San Blas allows dogs on the beach and this year that's where we're going. We leave this weekend. It's my understanding that the only beach in CSB that doesn't allow leashed dogs is the State Park. All you really need to do is find dog-friendly rentals. I started using VRBO and Homeaway which lead me to a few property management companies that have pet friendly rentals and I went with one of them.

Paducah, KY
Level Contributor
57 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer with dogs

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I am getting really close to making a decision and think we may go for it. I have found several pet friendly rentals. I love that the area around St. George Island, Mexico Beach, Cape San Blas etc. are so pet friendly.

Paducah, KY
Level Contributor
57 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer with dogs

Just updating. We are leaving tomorrow and are splitting our time between St. George Island and Cape San Blas. Can't wait to see the pups on the beaches!

Texas
Level Contributor
120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer with dogs

You should love them both! We stayed this week on Cape Can Blas and we visited St. George Island. Both very dog friendly. Make sure you hit Paddy's on St. George. They brought our pup water and turned the fan on her to keep her cool!

Sanford, Michigan
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer with dogs

We have an upcoming trip planned to Cape San Blas with our dog. How did you like it there? Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to: First timer with dogs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape San Blas
Recent Conversations