We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Fort Morgan AL

Indianapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
What area to stay in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Fort Morgan AL

I'm taking the family on my first trip to the Alabama shores. Since it's expensive, I want to make sure we're picking the best location. I want to be gulf front, not too many people (especially public beaches), but not too far from restaurants, etc. I've heard Fort Morgan is less hectic than Gulf Shores or Orange Beach, but I'm probably going for a condo because the houses are too expensive for just our family (sleeping 5). Suggestions from those who have been there many times? Also, is there a better guide among the many realty companies, VRBO, etc. ?

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Fort Morgan AL

Ft Morgan is, indeed, "less hectic" than GS/OB. Keep in mind that none of them are exactly Times Square on New Year's Eve. You don't say what dates you are looking at, but holiday periods are more crowded than other times.

You can do a forum search for all your questions. Search "Fort Morgan condo" and you'll see pages and pages of info.

I think most people have success by comparing the different rental companies (Meyer, Kaiser, Brett Robinson, etc) with VRBO.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
107 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Fort Morgan AL

I've been visiting OB for years and think that the beach is prettier and the water cleaner as you go east. I think OB is nicer than Gulf Shores, but perdido is nicer than OB. There are so many condos that you will have to do some research to pick one. We stay in Shoalwater. It is about 15 years old and has few amenities. There is no on site management. There is an outdoor pool, indoor pool, And hot tub. All units are three bedroom with two or three baths. It is right on the gulf and is never crowded. You can rent a unit thru the various rental companies or thru vrbo. Enjoy!

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Fort Morgan AL

My family has traveled to this area many times and we've stayed in Orange Beach, Gulf Shores, and Ft. Morgan. I love different things about each one and have enjoyed every trip down there.

Ft. Morgan is not crowded at all but keep in mind that you'll have to drive to GS/OB area for groceries, restaurants, and things to do. Depending on how far down on Ft. Morgan highway you stay, the drive can be 20 minutes or longer (the closer you are to the ferry area/tip of Ft. Morgan, the longer the drive). I have loved our trips there b/c we stayed in some nice houses and had private beach front. The drive, however, got old. One year, we rented through an agency, the next directly through a home owner.

For OB, I can recommend the Harbour Place condos. We've stayed twice and loved it each time. There are 3 bedroom units and 2 bedroom units. What I love about this building is that it's only got 5 floors of rentals, and it's located next to a hotel on one side and some houses on the other. That means that the beach does not get too crowded! Plus, if you get a "gulf view" condo on the side with the beach houses, you can still see the gulf very nicely. Two years ago, we rented a condo on the 5th floor through VRBO: http://www.vrbo.com/194002. It's very nice! 3 beds/3 baths, gulf front, and nicely decorated. The owners also have done a great job of supplying their condo quite well--even beach chairs and sand toys!

I promise I am not affiliated with this condo in any way--just loved it! Staying at Harbour Place was also convenient--easy to get to grocery stores, restaurants, and even over to Foley to shop at the outlet mall!

I stayed in GS as a kid, so I can't remember which condo units we stayed at. It's nice staying directly in GS b/c you're so close to many things. I do think some of the GS condo places are more crowded, however. So many are huge complexes and high rises, so beaches in the summer are crowded.

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Fort Morgan AL

I am a big fan of www.vrbo.com

We have a wonderful owner that we will stick with forever ..

My favorite complex is Island tower in GS<

Indoor , outdoor pool, exercise room,

We have had the pool to ourselves several times every trip.

To get less crowded , try and pick low density complexes,

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area to stay in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Fort Morgan AL

I like staying near the T at # 59 and Beach Blvd. San Carlos is perfect. There's a lot to do within walking distance of SC. Good luck.

http://www.san-carlos-alabama.com/

6. Re: What area to stay in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Fort Morgan AL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:46
Get answers to your questions about Fort Morgan
Recent Conversations