We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
183 reviews
Sand Fleas

Anyone been recently or what was your experience with these on Great Exuma? We will be traveling there in December 2018.

Should I find a specific spray or does any bug repellent work? Thanks!!

3 replies to this topic
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
47 posts
1. Re: Sand Fleas

I was on the island at the end of March and we did not have any problems. Granted, it was windy all week so that could have kept them away :) I have heard that a repellent with a good amount of deet helps keep them away. I had brought OFF Deep Woods and didn't need to use it.

CANADA
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
2. Re: Sand Fleas

Best prevention is to avoid shady and windless areas - awareness goes a long way. The north side beaches usually have sufficient wind to keep them down. Dawk/dusk on calm days cover up your ankles. Most people recommend oil based product like skin so soft that they can't bite through.

Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
624 posts
343 reviews
3. Re: Sand Fleas

Baby oil in the morning & evening. We splashed it all over our arms & legs around that time & didn't get any bites. Most days of our 2 weeks were breezy, but on the days where the wind died, the bugs came out...you can see them land on the oil & get stuck & can't bite through. Just don't stay out or walk around all day in the sun with baby oil on or you'll fry!

Reply to: Sand Fleas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Great Exuma