We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day Cat Island possible?

New York City, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day Cat Island possible?

My family is going down to Atlantis later this fall which I've been to previously so was looking for a little more adventure. As someone who likes going to top of things I'd like to pop over to Cat island to highpoint the Bahamas. Ideally i'd like to fly out of Nassau to Cat island in morning to New Bight. Then i could grab a taxi, rent a bicycle, or maybe even walk to Como Hill/Hermitage. Then I'd love to grab some lunch somewhere and then fly back that afternoon. Is this feasible? (I realize more than likely not sensible)

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day Cat Island possible?

An awesome way to do it which is feasible and possible, but maybe not sen$ible - would be to charter a plane for the day. The prices are high, but not as bad as you'd think, and oh those VIEWS from the air...

https://www.facebook.com/PaulsSeaplane

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day Cat Island possible?

It is very doable as long as you realize that you are getting only a small "sound bite" of what Cat Island has to offer. If you are content with that, then by all means, take a commercial flight from Nassau to New Bight, pick up a rental car from the airport and enjoy the island until it is time to come back for your flight back to Nassau.

Southen Air (southernaircharter.com) flies on Mon Wed and Fri where you can leave Nassau at 8:30am, arrive New Bight at 9:05am, then leave New Bight at 5:30pm arriving back in Nassau at 6:05pm. It is $170 round trip.

While flying in a sea plane is fun and offers great views, charters are very expensive -- in this case, you are looking at around $1600 for the charter costs. No need to spend that kind of money to accomplish the same thing with a day trip on a regular flight.

New York City, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day Cat Island possible?

Thanks for reply's. I probably won't be charting a private plane for myself unless i come into large sum of money in next 2 months. I know I will not get to see all the Cat island has to offer but I'm afraid this is my only opportunity at this point.

Dusty-Traveller if I do use Southern Air do you have a proposed itinerary for day trip 9 to 5. Knowing that Hermitage is my main goal i'll also need restaurant close to that location and other activities in my time frame. I'd love a kayak tour or snorkeling provided I have time. It'll be a single fit man so I can move relatively quickly from stop to stop

Ontario
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day Cat Island possible?

Cat Island for a quick day is doable. I would recommend that you check flights with SkyBahamas as their schedule is every day and their service has been more reliable than SouthernAir,

http://skybahamas.net/index.html

After visiting the Hermitage, which won't take any longer than 2 hours max, head over to Fernandez Bay for lunch and the afternoon. Mark Keasler is the resident expert and could be hired to take you on a kayaking tour up the nearby creek. Here is a link to Fernandez Bay Village www.fernandezbayvillage.com/kayaking.html

Another option would be to hire Danny King as your tour guide, he is a nice young personable man who has recently started up his own taxi/tour business. www.catislandexperience.com/booking-info.html

FYI - Cat Island, it's people, beaches and lack of crowds may spoil you for the rest of your time at Atlantis!!!

Cat Island
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day Cat Island possible?

Yes, I agree with everything TuscanyBay says above ^^^.

6. Re: 1 Day Cat Island possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 11:50
Get answers to your questions about Cat Island